Wellie issues !!

naxian62

Reaction score
Reccomend me some wellies guys that aint gonna split!

On my second pair in less than a year, took the first pair back which got replaced, thank god, but now the second pair have gone. It's almost like they're not supple enough for all the bending and squatting down.
Are these neoprene jobbies any good,anyone?
Cheers

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've owned two pairs of wellies in just over twenty years. Both have been used extensively for shooting, beating and fishing. The first of the two pairs are still giving functional gardening service to my old man. Both pairs are Hunters. However, I will admit that they aren't my footwear of choice for fishing if it's really cold.

B

binka

I tried the Muckboots on the recommendation of the forum but found that they were too narrow at the top to accommodate a tucked in bib 'n brace in winter.

My choice, after a long search to find a shop which sold all alternatives, was the Le Chameau Vierzonord (or something like that!) considering I wanted them for both summer and winter.

I've had sessions where I've walked a couple of miles and can honestly say that I never knew I had them on during the walk... extremely supple, natural rubber.

A very individual thing is boots and I would recommend that you narrow it down to a certain few and then go try them on to see how they feel.

barryjh

Reaction score
My choice, after a long search to find a shop which sold all alternatives, was the Le Chameau Vierzonord (or something like that!) considering I wanted them for both summer and winter.

:thumbs: Best boots I've ever had.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love my Aigle Parcours, had them 8 years and still going strong, a little expensive, but you do get what you pay for :)
Muck boots are good too ;)

mick b

Reaction score
Bink.....tucking your trouser (bib&brace) bottoms into your wellies......the same way bank holiday 'walkers' tuck their trouser bottoms into their socks.

Dont tell us you tuck your vest into your underpants as well :eek:mg:

Outer waterproof/protective layers should always be fitted on the outside, its the way you stop your boots filling up with water when it rains!

:cool:

MUCKBOOTS for me tho I do Like the look of those Iso 2s, maybe next time.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Ii have had hunters for the last twenty years or so, shooting, beating, fishing and plain bad weather they have done great. Five years ago I climbed into the beaters trailer with a two year old pair on. One guy was into my ribs straight away about how hunters are so "Yesterday" and things have moved on while at the same time proudly showing me (and everyone else) the ones he was wearing that he had paid just short of a hundred pounds for,Fine,
Then two years ago I noticed he had a a new pair of the same on and I just couldnt refrain from telling him that he really should have tried hunters for a change, no reply!

ps, muck boots look ok, but fishing and general domestic use, dont even think of using them for beating/ rough shooting as they rip n tear so easily.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
You would have had the pee ripped out of you big style if you'd got into our beater's van wearing Hunters Flight'. Most of the lads sported NCB wellies despite the pits having been shut for best part of twenty years. They stocked up before the closure notices ;)

For us non-miners Dunlop was considered de-rigeur. A tenner from that place in Chapletown where the toilet paper factory used to be.

B

binka

Dont tell us you tuck your vest into your underpants as well :eek:mg:

:D

What... you mean that's not the normal way? :eek:mg:

(and any other way is just tucking your underpants into your vest ;) )

I know it's wrong but I often tuck my bib trousers into me boots as I find it's toastier in winter, and it stops the bottoms getting caked in mud which I can just paddle off me wellies.

I've just spent the vast part of today on a nice bank on an old stone retaining wall a foot or so up off the water... In me wellies :eek:mg:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ii have had hunters for the last twenty years or so, shooting, beating, fishing and plain bad weather they have done great. Five years ago I climbed into the beaters trailer with a two year old pair on. One guy was into my ribs straight away about how hunters are so "Yesterday" and things have moved on while at the same time proudly showing me (and everyone else) the ones he was wearing that he had paid just short of a hundred pounds for,Fine,
Then two years ago I noticed he had a a new pair of the same on and I just couldnt refrain from telling him that he really should have tried hunters for a change, no reply!

ps, muck boots look ok, but fishing and general domestic use, dont even think of using them for beating/ rough shooting as they rip n tear so easily.

Flight,
Hunters are good allround boots...Till you get on a sludgy bank! I really hate that moulded heel block, the soles not much better either, I have nearly broke my neck several times in those cursed boots :eek: They are not nearly as bad as those wellies that Regata make that pretend to be Le Chameau! Bought my dad some last year and they split after in about 2 week!! As I have said before, you get what you pay for!

flightliner

Reaction score
NP, Almost barefoot as a kid cos me boo-its had no soles, sparkin in hobnailed boots was a forerunner to ferret leggin up round us!, later in life it was WIMPEY wellies, especially on the cobbles off Brid when cod bashing.
No one on board had anything that wasnt marked similar but NCB always seemed the most popular, only dissadvantage with the pit boots however was maybe having to swim if the skipper got things wrong.

MB 2 , somewhat surprised by your thoughts on the hunter heel, I, ve had them for decades and never had a problem, and after hundreds and hundreds of sessions on the trent almost always fishing off the rock lined very steep banks as opposed to the level banks opposite I, ve found it a positive rather than a negative especially when decending with a ruckie and holdall in wet weather or a lowering tide when slipping is so much more a possibility. Sure I, ve corrected myself a time or too but fingers crossed hope it was the heel n soles ability to help me do so without mishap
That said it may just be a truth when the odd angling friend tells me that with being blessed with the GB factor I, m lucky enough to maybe walk on water. Lol.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
NP, Almost barefoot as a kid cos me boo-its had no soles, sparkin in hobnailed boots was a forerunner to ferret leggin up round us!, later in life it was WIMPEY wellies, especially on the cobbles off Brid when cod bashing.
No one on board had anything that wasnt marked similar but NCB always seemed the most popular, only dissadvantage with the pit boots however was maybe having to swim if the skipper got things wrong.

There was a time when almost every sea angler leaving Whitby harbour were decked out in yellow NCB waterproofs including sou' westers. Their reels would have been crafted by NCB blacksmiths using NCB bearings and when they got home the tackle would be put in coal houses (or coil oils) with doors painted NCB blue. And they wondered why collieries didn't make a profit :eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Truth beknown most miners had hearts as big as buckets, problem for the NCB was they used em to carry what they needed too..:D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Flight,
Hunters are good allround boots...Till you get on a sludgy bank! I really hate that moulded heel block, the soles not much better either, I have nearly broke my neck several times in those cursed boots :eek: They are not nearly as bad as those wellies that Regata make that pretend to be Le Chameau! Bought my dad some last year and they split after in about 2 week!! As I have said before, you get what you pay for!

You do realise that there's more than one model of Hunter welly? I can understand exactly what you are talking about, but it only applies to the original model. Even Hunter don't list them in their fieldsports section.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You do realise that there's more than one model of Hunter welly? I can understand exactly what you are talking about, but it only applies to the original model. Even Hunter don't list them in their fieldsports section.

Yes Sam, Its the basic model I am talking about and I know I should have realised that when having ago at poor old flighty :D I did hate those wellies, though they looked rather cool when walking round the Chatsworth country fair...Long before the Aigle Parcours were even thought of! ;)

mick b

Reaction score
I was supplied Royal Hunters as part of my 'kit'....:D

Just incase anyone doesn't know these beauties they were beefed up Hunters with a solid sole fitted with hardened steel studs and produced a grip so good you could almost walk up a dam wall in them!
They would grip on anything except glazed tiles (when it was like being on ice skates) and the studs would never wear out, usually lasting in excess of 8years.

Ive looked on the Hunter website and sadly they are no longer made :confused:
If they were Id have a pair before they hit the shelves!

The bog standard Hunters of yesteryear and those made today were/are only good for mucking put the stables or poseurs on a driven day (those with their Barbour belt reversed).

Nowadays Muckboots fit my bill, but Im sure gonna have a try-on of those Iso 2s when I see them.

Note: the sole of one of my Muckboots started to come off at the toe after a couple of years (out of warrantee :eek:mg:) but I reglued it and its lasted the well enough and the soles have hardly worn at all.