How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Up at 6 this morning. Bimbling about thinking I had plenty of time to pack the car. Left at 7:15 for the short drive to Willows lakes for 8oclock.
DOH! didn't put the clocks forward..:eek:mg:
Got on the phone to find the match was cancelled..
The organiser and myself decided to fish it anyway.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, catching some clonking roach on the pole and carp and skimmers on the method.

How did you get on?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Mothers day. My Mum died recently, wasn't sure what to do until the trouble and strife told me to get away from it and go fishing. Not needing to be asked twice, got the carp rods out and off I went. Warm and sunny when I arrived at about 10-00. Found a few, trickled in a bit of bait and carefully laid the traps. An hour or so later, a very pretty little fully scaled mirror of just under 10lbs! A bit more bait and out it goes again.

Then, it clouds over. Looks good, I thought, but slowly all signs of carp disapeared. Nothing until dusk when I lost a much bigger fish.

Still, took my mind off the day at hand.

Stu

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't going to bother going fishing for a few weeks yet, until things have warmed up a bit more but the weather was so good today I couldn't resist having a few hours float fishing this afternoon. I dropped into a swim on the lake facing the prevaling wind hoping the fish would have followed it. Bait was a pint or so of maggots left over from the river season, half of which had turned into casters which was ok with me as I like to fish them seperate or mix them up on the hook and a few handfulls of sweetcorn. The fish seemed to like the old maggots and corn and I had quite a few rudd, mostly between 6 and 10 ounces but several where a tad over a pound. I had a few perch also but they where no more than about 8 ounces. I set out hoping to catch a tench or two and not long before packing up I did hook up with one :), it was only about 2lb but that didn't matter, it was a tench and I was happy :).

nicepix

Reaction score
My plans had to be put on hold. I'm still house and cat sitting at our friends until tomorrow morning and the chores of two households has meant that I haven't had time to spare.

I'll definitely be off tomorrow morning though. Straight after I've done the airport run.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I went Saturdau afternoon - nice warm day and the fish were biting - small palm size roach

the carp were crising just under the surface

then the last hour I had carp in he margin feeding on bait I'd put in earlier and got one to take my bait - it took off and then I thought there was a problem with my reel - I couln't get it to give line - I slackend the clutch but still no luck - then ping he carp snapped me off - cheacking the line I noticed that it had somehow got wrapped round the tip eye and was held fast

I was lucky I didn't break the rod

jimlad

Reaction score
The first tench of the year for me on Saturday. The first proper sign of spring for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicepix

Reaction score
LATE REPORT - JUST IN!

Finally managed some time to go fishing today after a busy week looking after someone else's house. Picked up our friends at the airport, dropped them off at home, gave them their key and went fishing. :)

I went to the River Vienne about 25 km upstream of where I normally fish and into a different department. After looking at three places I settled on the fourth, a fast, smooth section of river with tree cover.

The weather was fine and warm with increasing cloud cover and the swim I picked from the 400 metre stretch had a depth of nearly 3 metres about one and a half rod lengths out shelving up steeply to my bank.

I filled up with some of the grain melange I made the other day.

And put a 2lb tc quiver rod out with lob worm on a size 10 hoping for some barbel. Right from the start I got those irritating little taps and knocks that mean small chub are in the swim. After a few changes of bait I had a good bite on a large single maize grain..............

After a fishless hour I set up a JW Travel Avon and tried for the smaller stuff. Initially I trotted without success then switched the top section to a quiver tip and ended up landing a few of these...

All in all, a good day out.

neil1970

Reaction score
I met Simon at a small pond today.

Nice surroundings, but not many bites.

Simon came over for a chat 10 minutes before I was due to leave and his presence induced 4 small but beautiful rudd before packing up.:) :D

Cheers mate:)

B

binka

Had a couple of hours after work the other evening micro-luring on some light gear for perch... and had plenty of micro perch!

Great fun...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Wasn't that the 80gm lure then Binka....

Fished a local gravel pit from 8-3 today - up in the water carp, seven between 8.15 and 10.30 then sweet fa until 2pm for a hard earned bonus to make it eight. Most of the fish mid doubles with a couple slightly bigger. The weather went from fleece to T shirt then 'vice-verce' a few times and the water is still bloody cold..

Off to the estate lake Friday for (hopefully) the first tench of the season ...........

B

binka

Wasn't that the 80gm lure then Binka....

Lol... the fish I caught barely broke an ounce, greedy little beggars :D

Until your post I wasn't even sure of the weight of the lures and after checking the ones I used were between 1.7 and 3gm, I reckon any lighter and i'll just paint a hook silver and twitch it along :)

Might try and get out for a couple of hours at dawn tomorrow for some more serious specimen perch hunting... :eek:mg: