One of those things......

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
.......that are virtually impossible to explain on a forum.

Casting for instance.

Overarm, underarm etc?

Any more angling tips that are difficult to explain on a forum?

Last edited:

paul1234

Reaction score
General watercraft,i.e creases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Probably spelt wrong I'm not very sharp haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bennygesserit

Reaction score
How much is little and often
How to play a fish properly

How to keep a swim going

john step

Reaction score
The feeling of satisfaction that playing a large fish on a centre pin gives.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Trying to explain to people that it can be as easy to catch large river fish during the daylight hours as it is after dusk if you know what you’re doing.....................

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All of the above, plus why does a man who's merely tried to enthuse and to encourage others to do some of the best that he's gone the extra mile to do, here and abroad, over the years, be so (cue ancient song lyric: "Please, don't let me be") misunderstood, with some failing to see the moon and the stars that he's long been pointing at, but believe he's giving them the finger and get all uppity about it (Mr Mainwaring)?

All of human and sub-human life is here....

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
All of the above, plus why does a man who's merely tried to enthuse and to encourage others to do some of the best that he's gone the extra mile to do, here and abroad, over the years, be so (cue ancient song lyric: "Please, don't let me be") misunderstood, with some failing to see the moon and the stars that he's long been pointing at, but believe he's giving them the finger and get all uppity about it (Mr Mainwaring)?

Maybe its a communication problem ? Maybe most sub humans on here are like dogs and when you point at the moon and the stars we just look at the end of your finger. i can't tell whether you are giving me the finger or not.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Of course. I defer to your far deeper insight and greatly superior knowledge, benny - historically nobody on any internut fish site understands me, after all (or so they've kept saying)....

I'd give you fellas some smilicon wink to flag up the true meaning of what I'm saying now, but you know me (Not!).

bennygesserit

Reaction score
i a more interested , forgive me , in the opening post I started a poll on here - how often is little and often , of course I was naive and it depends on where and how you are fishing. Now the weather is warming and , touchwood, my knee is finally starting to feel better ( started swimming again ) I am tempted to give the canal a try for roach using the pole.

A matchman I got talking to on the bank advised no more than 6 grains of hemp at a time when fishing for roach makes sense I am up for the challenge , again , of trying to catch on the canal as opposed to the endless carp stuff I did almost every trip last year.

mick b

Reaction score
How, when and why to groundbait?

Yes, YES YES

The right 'consistency'..........:eek:mg:
Totally, completely unexplainable, but one look at someone doing it right and you can see it immediatly :D

I snell all my sea hooks but it I wrote an technical description of how its done I bet only 1 in 10,000 would understand the process and be able to repeat it.

Same with Wallis casting!!!
Couldn't get the hang of it, but a short demo and Ive never looked back.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Same with Wallis casting!!! Couldn't get the hang of it, but a short demo and Ive never looked back.

If you want to see four of the very centrepin reels that the great F.W.K. Wallis used in his hugely successful Trent and Hants Avon fishing and for the Nottingham Cast (as it was known in his day, of which he was the acknowledged master), I suggest you check out Mullock's old tackle auction on July 13th. As you say, Mick, a quick demo does the trick. I was given mine in March 1972 on the banks of a Welsh river by a very young and sprightly 60-year-old gentleman who, together with a fishing pal from Nottingham, as a young man, had been given a similar demo by F.W.K. himself on the banks of the Royalty in the early 1930s, with both men becoming very very good at the thing.

Must have seen something in the young man who one had met and "demo-ed" and the other later met and saw casting, as they handed him four of F.W.K.'s very own reels for safe keeping, keeping one each of the total of six reels for themselves, at a "Wallis Casters' Meet" (just the three of us, two men in their sixties and a lad just out his teens) chatting and casting away in a tiny field on a Pembrokeshire clifftop in August 1974.

'istory, innit?

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score

Paul, its like the people who cannot see the trees for the wood, they could be carpenters, charcoal burners or maybe 'none so blind'......?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Paul, its like the people who cannot see the trees for the wood, they could be carpenters, charcoal burners or maybe 'none so blind'......?

Or on one April 1st in the distant past, they couldn't see the trees for the spaghetti, Mick.

reeds

Reaction score
Feeding - even those who are masters at it often can't explain why they do what they do, yet it's something that you can get exactly right or totally wrong.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Describing how to mix up a batch of StickyMag . . . . . . . .

Or getting the various consistencies in your groundbait just right so as to break-up at different times . . . . . . .

vort

Reaction score
So many things can't be understood merely by reading some text.
It's not just fishing. How good a driver would you be if you had only read the Highway Code but never sat behind the wheel and practiced?

Surely one of the great joys of fishing is in the experimenting. Conditions (weather, water temperature, fish appetite, etc.) are in a state of constant change and what works on one day will fail on the next.