Which Braid

guest61

Reaction score
I guess this has been discussed plenty over the years, maybe I should have titled it 'alternative to power pro'. Basically I use power pro, I tried whiplash for a while but the power pro seems to more reliable and less problematic.

However, I have never tried anything else. As power pro is expensive (I've figured you probably get what you pay for) I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative that is still reliable and would save a few quid? I'm open to suggestion if there is a braid that I can use that's cheaper than £10 every time I re-spool.

As long as I can avoid birds nests and break offs I would be happy to use anything...

any suggestions to break the mould?

reeds

Reaction score
I prefer PP, but I have heard good things about a braid called Sunline - might be worth checking out. Lure anglers seem to like it as it's thin, reliable and smooth. (As much as I like PP, it does sound rough through the rings.)

mick b

Reaction score
Why re-spool :confused:

For nearly eight years I used to fish 30lb PP for Bass 4-5 days a week on a Penn 6500 Spinfisher and all I ever did was chop of a few metres every month or so, and Im still using it nearly twenty years since I first spooled it!!

I never wash it, always wind it on rock-hard tight and ensure the bush under the line roller is greased, so Im not doing anything special.

I could write you a list of high-end Japanese braids costing twice or more of PP (I've got 4-500m+ on each of my jigging reels) but for 'run of the mill hook and haul all out fishing' PP is the tops.

Look no further, your using the best there is, for the price.

guest61

Reaction score
Why re-spool :confused:

For nearly eight years I used to fish 30lb PP for Bass 4-5 days a week on a Penn 6500 Spinfisher and all I ever did was chop of a few metres every month or so, and Im still using it nearly twenty years since I first spooled it!!

I never wash it, always wind it on rock-hard tight and ensure the bush under the line roller is greased, so Im not doing anything special.

I could write you a list of high-end Japanese braids costing twice or more of PP (I've got 4-500m+ on each of my jigging reels) but for 'run of the mill hook and haul all out fishing' PP is the tops.

Look no further, your using the best there is, for the price.

Usually re-spool after getting a big birdy, which seems to happen every now and then. Happens when I already have 30m of line out.... and my reel looks like spaghetti. Probably happens couple times each season on my fixed spools.... Must admit though, the power pro is less prone to this, and snap off too. Think will stick with what I know, or at least until the next amazing thing hits the market

mick b

Reaction score
Usually re-spool after getting a big birdy, which seems to happen every now and then. Happens when I already have 30m of line out.... and my reel looks like spaghetti. Probably happens couple times each season on my fixed spools.... Must admit though, the power pro is less prone to this, and snap off too. Think will stick with what I know, or at least until the next amazing thing hits the market

Being completely honest I have NEVER seen a braid birds-nest on a fixed spool :confused:

If you don't know, the line MUST be wound onto the spool so that it cannot be depressed at all, it must be rock hard, so much that even your thumbnail would struggle to make an impression on the surface.
To achieve this is easier if the spool is removed from the reel and mounted on a dedicated line spooler or a homemade spindle mounted onto a power drill.
The line is wound on slowly and the line laid by a gloved hand.

In the past used to spool many many reels for my clients and never had a single complaint.

I suggest you examine your reel spools, height of line fill and method of spooling and then make trial casts over grass to try and eradicate your problem, because it is a personal problem, not something that happens regularly (in my experience).

Let us know how you get on please.

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice, will give it a go and see if I get any improvements. Must admit have been a bit baffled, have been winding on tightly, not filling to the lip etc

Maybe not quite tight enough though, to be honest I've only been using my own judgment, first time I have ever had any suggestions, so muchly appreciated! will pack it on real hard next time

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stick with power pro mate, if you want it cheap by it from Harrissportsmail.com , a top notch company with good gear and good prices!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a fan of PP but a friend of mine got some Prestons (I think it was sinking braid) braid a couple of years ago and it seemed to be a good quality stuff. He got it for ledgering at range in Ireland and it certainy proved to be excellent for casting.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Powerpro...and Fireline! I prefer the old black stuff in 14lb bs, I have some going on 15 years still as strong as new, though all the coating has come off. Friends use 6lb FL Crystal for trotting and recommend it too.

G

aebitim

Reaction score
Stren sonic, far better than powerpro but difficult to get now. Its a bit stiff off the spool at first but soon settles down, tougher also. Fireline is good in the lower b.s but always stren in 20lb plus, I use braid for bass with lures and float so might be a different story in fresh water,

nicepix

Reaction score
Be careful about buying bargain price Power Pro as there are a lot of fakes in the market.

Interesting that Geoff recommended Crystal for trotting. I ended up binning mine after giving it more than a fair trial. Couldn't get on with it at all.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Interesting that Geoff recommended Crystal for trotting. I ended up binning mine after giving it more than a fair trial. Couldn't get on with it at all.
I was okay with it (6lb white) at first but a really windy day gave me such gyp I switched back to mono. My mates who persevered with it still rate it though.

robtherake

Reaction score
I saw a 300M spool of 30lb 8-strand on Ebay on sale for £9, so decided at that price it must at least be worth a dekko.

It took a month to arrive (from Hong Kong) by snail mail, but at least it turned up.

It's a bit thicker by diameter than expensive braids and has a waxy coating which soon wears off. I don't have a problem with the thickness - it's much more civilised than uber skinny braids. It's a good product which is both supple and well-behaved, with a round profile. No wind knots or balls-ups, but I soak braid spools overnight before fishing and have hardly had a problem.

In short, it's cheap, but well worth the asking price. It goes by the trade name "Agepoch".

nicepix

Reaction score
Rob,
Run that braid over some scales. I received a similar type of line as a gift from a friend and on first impressions I thought that it was brilliant. However, the 30kg breaking strain rating in reality was less then half. Still a great line though even at its true rating. It goes by various trade names and is sold by some retailers under their own brands.

Incidentally, I buy my Dyneema in bulk from that ebay seller and he seems to provide a consistent line, unlike some sellers. Of course its not real Dyneema but it passes the Nicepix strength and durability tests.

mick b

Reaction score
There is a useful website devoted to the testing of fishing lines:

Paulus Just Fishing

Because anglers are constantly sending him samples to test the data base is kept up to date.

Yes a very very good site and information source.......highly recommended!

Ive been using it almost since he started, but my link came from a Dutch friend, previously I had never heard of it :confused:

For whatever reason it often takes a Euro mainland angler to give us little islanders the heads-up :eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
When I first left school and worked at t'mill we had a machine designed for testing yarns for strength and stretch. I had to do a stint in the lab and processed many samples through the instrument. I also used to run my Bayer Perlon, Maxima and Racine Tortou through it too. That taught me that fishing lines were no different from other fibers we tested, i.e. variable in quality regards stretch and breaking strain. A few years later a friend who worked for a Sheffield instrument makers gave me a top quality micrometer and I used that to test my lines for many years. Again, their thickness was often inconsistent with the maker's claims.

Its all right for anglers to claim that this or that line is the best in the world, but it really takes someone with the right equipment and access to most if not all the regular brands to form a true opinion.