Barbel Fishing – The Pope’s River Diary

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have replied to this, as follows but also on the close Season thread as well:

I am sorry Steve but I really cannot help but think that the fact that we have had a very unusually wet winter is sufficient cause to even consider an alteration to the Close Season in its present form.

Any business (worthy of staying in business) knows that there will be times of growth and expansion but also periods of little or no growth, so to use this as an excuse is wholly disingenuous. For us (anglers) to base this argument upon commercial interests compared to those of our conservation principles is almost unbelievable, and moreover it does our sport in general no good service whatsoever.

As an aside, can someone tell me why we don't see the same "commercial" argument from the Trout and Salmon anglers who have an even longer "close season" than we do? And yet ,we never seem to hear them arguing for change; now, why is that I wonder?

Regarding the differences between coarse fish in still waters versus our rivers you only have to look to the fact that the vast majority of stillwaters are regularly re-stocked whereas our rivers rely almost totally on natural spawning and year class fish growing onto adulthood
Yes, I know that some rivers have been restocked, usually following some pollution incident or similar occurrence, (but certainly not on the scale or the regularity of almost all commercial stillwaters,)

Our rivers are prone to all sorts of conditions not prevalent in lakes, ponds or other commercial venues. It follows that the fish in the rivers are far more natural than their still water cousins particularly in their breeding and survival, and accordingly need more not less protection.

Now, seeing as you mentioned Pandora’s Box in the first instance, allow me to remind our readers that having opened the box (which incidentally contained all the evils of the world) there was, laid in the bottom, the Elpis, otherwise known as the Spirit of Hope.

Now, to my mind the “evils” were the loss of the Close Season on still waters and some canals, whereas the Spirit of Hope remains to be the maintenance of the Close Season on our rivers which, are already suffering from over-predation and over abstraction to mention but a few. Accordingly to even pretend that our duty or care and our principles of care flew out of the window is, again, wholly incorrect, inasmuch as we are talking about stocked and re-stocked venues

All that said, and having waited for some time to read your views I am very encouraged to see that you are still in favour of retaining the current Close Season and will not be campaigning for a change.

Finally, again as you mentioned it first, let’s remember that Armageddon was actually only the geographical site where the armies gathered for the “end times”

So while there may not be a potential Armageddon if the Close Season were to be abolished it would certainly herald the end time of common sense, our conservation principles and the loss of our sporting credentials in the eyes of the general public, not to mention giving the anti-brigades free ammunition.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It was remiss of me not to add a few words to your very nice description of Fred Crouch.

He was indeed a superb angler and a real positive advert for our sport.

For you to spend so much time lovingly crafing the magazine issue speaks volumes for you as his friend.

Reaction score
Peter

Just a comment about the 'eyes of the general public' - I assume you mean none anglers in htis context.

I think I am quite correct in stating that the majority of none anglers aren't aware that there is a close and open season for angling. Of the few that are aware then I also think it is safe to say that they don't know when it is or what it is for.

On that basis the perception of the general public is a very small factor regarding hte issues around the close season. Furthermore I would also say that of the many anglers in this country - it is only the passionate few that have views on the close season, whereas the majority just buy a license and go fishing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a comment about the 'eyes of the general public' - I assume you mean none anglers in htis context.

General public as well as MP's and anyone else who may hold sway over any potential decision.

Also, the plethora of other organisations outside of fishing, but nonehteless ones who who hold a deep regard for our flora, fauna and fungii.