Dropshotting for Perch with Quivertip Rod

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently read an article by Des Taylor in which he talks about 'walking the worm' - essentially, he uses a dropshot rod with a standard dropshot rig, but instead of a small rubber shad he uses a live worm.

I decided I'd try this approach but, not having a dropshot rod, I used an 8 ft bomb rod with a 1.5 oz quivertip fitted. The rig was 4lb sensor mainline, a 4lb high-tech hooklength and a size 10 hook tied with a palomar knot. a small weight was attached to one tag-end of the palomar knot.

The approach worked quite well. I couldn't get a touch from any perch using standard waggler tactics, but using my improvised 'dropshot' method, I caught six above one pound in weight.

Am I missing something, or is a short bomb rod ideal for occasional dropshot work?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

:wh

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I use a 10' bomb rod for perch fishing but use a half ounce tip.
Sometimes even quarter ounce. I'm sure the bites are more positive
with the least resistance on the tip.

sagalout

Reaction score
not having a dropshot rod
All these different rod labels are surely promoted by the manufacturers to make you buy more rods. I am sure the fish don't know you are using the wrong rod, because I have caught all sorts on my barbel rod (except barbel) and I have caught all sorts on my carp pellet waggler rod (including barbel).

reeds

Reaction score
It should work OK, a proper drop-shot rod basically has a spliced in carbon quivertip. But I would have thought a carbon tip that isn't too soft would be better than a soft glass tip.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
It should work OK, a proper drop-shot rod basically has a spliced in carbon quivertip. But I would have thought a carbon tip that isn't too soft would be better than a soft glass tip.

That's what I was thinking. I have seen dropshot rods used, and they don't appear to be vastly different from a quivertip rod in terms of their action.

[/COLOR]
All these different rod labels are surely promoted by the manufacturers to make you buy more rods. I am sure the fish don't know you are using the wrong rod, because I have caught all sorts on my barbel rod (except barbel) and I have caught all sorts on my carp pellet waggler rod (including barbel).

I know. When I was a kid, I had a 7ft spinning rod that was used for everything except spinning - trout fishing with worms, mackerel fishing with feathers, perch fishing with floats, pike fishing with small deadbaits...

I have a Drennan Tench Float rod that has never caught a tench for me, and two barbel rods that have never caught a barbel (because there are none in Ireland).

You're right - the fish don;t know what the rod is made for :)

Last edited:

beerweasel

Reaction score
It should be fine ,the advantage of a short drop shot rod is less effort on your wrist.

B

binka

I used to wobble and twitch worms with a light quiver, I suspect like many I found out the allure of a twitched bait many years ago whilst settling the tip on conventional feeder rigs.

Only reason I changed is that I bought a six foot light jigging rod and found it also suited the worm wobbling better but there was never anything wrong with using the quivertip.

Agree with PC that the less resistance the better, if I'm general legering or feedering for perch i'll slacken the tip right off and let an inch of braid back off the spool which results in far steadier, progressive pulls than the often savage plucks that can often be the case under tension.

If you aren't squeamish try injecting the tail of a good sized lob so that it suspends and twitch that back whilst watching the line on the surface for a take... great fun (unless you're the lob!).

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’ve been drop shotting for perch for a couple of years now and have yet to buy a pukka DS rod. I’ve used a QT and caught fish – whether I’d catch more with a pukka DS rod (possibly) but having used a friend’s 7’Fox it’s (IMO) more fun to use.........

My set up is approximately 4' of 8lb Incognito, a size 4 DS hook fixed with a palomar about half way - sliding DS weight for depth adjustment with the Fluro tied to the braid of my choice.

barisaxman

Reaction score
Most rods these days are marketed to catch the angler not the fish. :(Use whatever works for you, the fish don't know what you're using......;)

reeds

Reaction score
It should be fine ,the advantage of a short drop shot rod is less effort on your wrist.

This is a good point. A 'proper' DS rod will be better balanced and a lot easier on the arm/wrist than a quivertip rod. So will be much more pleasurable to use for any length of time.