Surface/Floater rod

naxian62

Reaction score
Preparing for the summer an looking to get myself a new rod rod.
I've narrowed it down to the Ray Walton 11ft 1.6 tc barbel and the Fox Warrior S 1.75tc. I've already got a 2.25 tc Nash rod but looking for something a tad lighter to enjoy the fight of smaller carp (up to low 20's). A bit worried that the Walton might not have the stopping power if I'm fishing up to snags, and that the difference between my Nash and the Fox is not that much really.
Any help/ input much appreciated guys.
Tight lines

Beaker

Reaction score
Hi, For floater fishing I use and have for some years an old North Western 2lb kevlar. I use it mainly on Linear and it does the job.
Yuo need to decide what is best for you ,if it was my choice I would go for the lighter rod, as long as it was matched with an appropriate reel and line.

bullet

Reaction score
Maybe a greys prodigy specimen rod, the 1.5 lb one is fairly pokey and you can get a good bend in it.

Keith M

Reaction score
Maybe a greys prodigy specimen rod, the 1.5 lb one is fairly pokey and you can get a good bend in it.

I usually use one of my Grey's Prodigy 1.5lb/2lb Multi-tip Specimen rods for surface fishing for Carp. The extra tip gives me a few more options.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Preparing for the summer an looking to get myself a new rod rod.
I've narrowed it down to the Ray Walton 11ft 1.6 tc barbel and the Fox Warrior S 1.75tc. I've already got a 2.25 tc Nash rod but looking for something a tad lighter to enjoy the fight of smaller carp (up to low 20's). A bit worried that the Walton might not have the stopping power if I'm fishing up to snags, and that the difference between my Nash and the Fox is not that much really.
Any help/ input much appreciated guys.
Tight lines
You need less 'stopping power' than you think when fishing close to snags. It is a bit of a modern fallacy that when snag fishing you need powerful gear. You don't. The fish has no time to build momentum and as long as you are very quick into action even big fish are easy to turn away from the danger on a strong barbel or light carp rod. I would go with any half decent barbel rod and my choice would be the fox 1.75 which will make a lovely versatile tool for all sorts of fishing like tench also. For carp fishing using a soft rod like that I would use a low stretch line such as shimano technium, I think 8 or 10lb technium would balance that setup perfectly.