What has the EA ever done for us?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Might be time we hard-done-by punters considered giving the taking the wee-wee, privatized utilities - Water, Gas and Electric - a good kicking; they care for one thing and one thing only: profit and keeping their mostly corporate shareholders sweet.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if there's a few back handers being given out !

Lets face it it's a clear cut case of pollution and easy to prove in court.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sewerage has been under a lot of pressure through the winter and is still having to deal with ground water getting into the system on top of the normal sewage that households put out. Not saying it's right, but this winter was one hell of a nightmare for the water companies. I know of a stream that stinks to high heaven and I doubt there'll be any fish left alive in it, but it's what the WCs (goods name that) are licensed to do. Perhaps in this lady's case thought they could have pulled a few stops out to control it sooner.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
This is the sort of situation where writing to your MP could do the trick. Although MPs are generally a complete waste of space, government agencies or departments wet themselves and turn to jelly in fear once an MP is on their case.

guest61

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the EA unless they need to enforce or regulate something eg, inappropriate discharge from an unlicensed facility etc. Any complaints would need to be addressed by the water board in question (who will be licensed)and unless there has been a discharge deemed to be unfit for whatever reason (happens regularly) then the EA wouldnt havevto step in. They provide the regulations that people/industries/local authorities/farms/petrol stations etc have to abide by.

Most rivers will have sewage impact during rainy periods, that is how it works when there is too greater volume of water to be processed at the works it will over flow. Sounds as though the lady in the article is getting the rough end of the stick though, I'm sure she could make a complaint via local EHO (environmental health offucer) at the council, not the EA.

As for what they have done .... regulate water quality, provide fish stocking programmes, regulate discharges, monitor all sorts of environmental issues. On the downside , cut backs, reduction in staff, lack of funding will all play a part in how they operate in the future

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
This reminds me of last year when there was an incident at a local STW. Thames Water did the right thing in informing the EA pollutions people that they were possibly exceeding their licence to discharge untreated water. I found out through a press report and contacted our EA fisheries officer and none of their team had any idea that there was a problem. I have always said, the EA is the biggest DISorganisation in the country - left hand not knowing what the right is up to. :mad:

guest61

Reaction score
This reminds me of last year when there was an incident at a local STW. Thames Water did the right thing in informing the EA pollutions people that they were possibly exceeding their licence to discharge untreated water. I found out through a press report and contacted our EA fisheries officer and none of their team had any idea that there was a problem. I have always said, the EA is the biggest DISorganisation in the country - left hand not knowing what the right is up to. :mad:

it is a bit convoluted/overly complicated about how it all works, same as other government funded bodies eg local councils. But as least we have the EA, in some countries may be very basic environmental regs

I think the is a lot of confusion about what the EA do. Plus they are overwhelmed. Don't want folk to think im pro EA ! I do deal with them sometimes and they can be helpful, however I can see why folk get frustrated

Last edited: