Use it or lose it?

terry m

Reaction score
I have a few bits of kit that I take out occasionally simply because it is there and I feel I should be getting use from it.

For example I have a pair of Daiwa 1 3/4lb carp rods that I very rarely use, they struggle at medium range but are useless at long range.

I dug them out yesterday for the first time in years and went for a short 3 hour evening session in a local pit, my first outing since March 14th.

I struggled to get on the spot, but managed just, and was rewarded with one run and a fantastic fight on a soft through action rod, resulting in a pristine 18lb 9oz Common on the mat.

Chances are they will get put away shortly in favour of more conventional tools.

Do you have rods or gear that you only take out once in a blue moon?

B

binka

Can't honestly say I've kept anything rod wise that doesn't see the light of day too often, I've got a six piece Greys Rova Float rod which sits in a cupboard if ever I need a pack down, compact rod to take anywhere and a 12' Fox Specimen float rod that's jammed between two cabinets because it's a p-o-s and I've got no intention of using it but seems a waste to get rid.

Hang on a minute...

Yes, I've got three Daiwa Match S TD 2503 reels and only one really gets used on anything like a regular basis :eek:

I think that's about it... :)

Edited to add: Fox rucksack, invaluable when needed but spends the majority of its time hanging on the garage wall

I'm not playing anymore, the more I think about this the more is gonna come up!

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Yes
I've got a Browning tip rod that is no longer used, a Dean Macey tip rod 11ft6 to 13ft that never gets a use and an 13ft old float rod
I've also got a Ultimate 4 draw seat box that's not been on the bank in a couple of years , anyone want to buy them? :D

rubio

Reaction score
Far too much!
Got a couple of old school pieces that I deliberately take on a trip now and again.
Shakespeare sigma wand and old swingtip are among my favourites

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Try as I may these days I run out of time to give a day's outing to anything like all of my rods.

From yester-year I have a Walker MkIV Avon and a MkIV Carp, plus a Wallis Super Wizard and a Dalesman before getting into things like a Fred Taylor Trotter and a Taperflash and quite a few others.

As for fly rods I have a lovely Hardy Marquis that I take out once a year but it really doesn't suit my casting style these days.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've got an 11 weight salmon fly rod and matching Cortland reel that I got for pike fly-fishing that hasn't seen the light of day for a few years. I literally tired of chucking heavy pike flies and retrieving jacks not much bigger than the flies. It will get used this summer though; for catfish.

And, my smaller weight fly rods haven't had any use since coming to France. But again I'll be using at least some of them for mullet this summer. Might even have an evening's fly-fishing for chub on a smashing stretch of river we've just discovered.

Other than that, there is only a Greys beachcaster that I haven't used recently or have any plans to use. Everything else gets a fair outing on a regular basis.

slaphead

Reaction score
I've got a Browning tip rod that is no longer used, a Dean Macey tip rod 11ft6 to 13ft that never gets a use and an 13ft old float rod
I've also got a Ultimate 4 draw seat box that's not been on the bank in a couple of years , anyone want to buy them?

I'll give you a tenner, Lord Paul, will also collect. :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
From time to time I get bees in my bonnet about certain species and methods. I have a nasty habit of buying the appropriate gear and eventually losing a bit of interest, or, for one reason or another, simply moving on to something new. However, bar (pike) lure kit, I will still use it and I've no doubt that the bee will be back at some point. Whether something gets used regularly or not very much depends on the venues I'm frequenting at the time. It's a rare occurrence for me to sell anything and bar the lure gear none of it is totally redundant or unwanted.

Keith M

Reaction score
After watching John Wilson catch Carp using a fly rod and chum mixers on his private lake in around 1982 I went out and bought myself a fly rod and reel but I have never got around to using it.

Keith (BoldBear)

flightliner

Reaction score
I have lots of rods to cover a multiplicity of uses but in the very early nineties I purchased a Nash Hooligan eleven foot carp rod that was redundant days after my buying it when carp were suddenly put on the back burner in favour of Trent barbel.
Its still in the garage, never been used.

Keith M

Reaction score
In 1996 our team had to compete in two matches on a water where there were some deep 12ft to 14ft swims close in, and as I hate using sliding floats I decided to get myself a long rod (Shakespeare 17/20ft Annexe Excel Match).

I got 1st place in the first match and 3rd in the second, but I haven't used it since then.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
M'lud I have recently started to clear out all the tackle I don't use and have been ebaying it with surprisingly good results. 99p start and the P&P as low as I can get it bearing in mind ebay charge you 10% and paypal 5% so your P&P costs need 15% added.