Sale of Invasive Water Plants Now Banned

sagalout

Reaction score
Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying : Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

B

binka

I sometimes see roadside contractors on the motorway verges carefully looking for and pulling up specific plants and piling black bags of them up for collection by a wagon, does anyone know what these plants are and why they're being removed?

I wondered about Hogweed?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I sometimes see roadside contractors on the motorway verges carefully looking for and pulling up specific plants and piling black bags of them up for collection by a wagon, does anyone know what these plants are and why they're being removed?

I wondered about Hogweed?

Well, I reckon that they are just harvesting the Marijuana plants that they planted earlier in the year . . . . . . . . .

The bad one

Reaction score
Unlikely to be hogweed Binka as they spray it. It won't be knotweed either as that's treated in the same way or is stem injected and it's not recommended that you move the plant off site as it's classed as toxic waste.:eek: Most likely plant to be treated this way is ragwort.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

The bad one

Reaction score
Royal Horticultural Society wades into the Natives v. Alien thing. Seems that we'd have just holly, ivy, foxgloves and a very few other self-starting, immediate post-Ice Age species if we were to go "Pure Native". No apples, no....

No more environmental xenophobia: British wildlife has a taste for the exotic and can thrive on non-native plant species - Nature - Environment - The Independent

As for fish.

Carp....
Paul the RHS kinda misses the point about 'native flowers' and biodiversity. It's the biodiversity of the the native flowers we need to maintain and increase because if they took the time to look, many areas are losing or have lost what were fairly common species 50 years ago. And as I know you know the reasons for this, so I don't need to repeat them for you.

One must also understand the RHS has self-interest in the study its undertaken, as many of its members are growers, nurseries of all things non-native from around the world and depend on the till ring of the next big thing in all things gardening.