Samphire Hoe: Underwater Secrets of Wrasse Revealed

robtherake

Reaction score
Wrasse are awesome fighters on a match rod. On a Cornish holiday, we fished off a lifeboat slipway and the water was so clear you could see them rush out and grab the bait (prawns) and spit it back out before you even got the tip moving. Even the little uns fight like billy-o. Marvellous colours, too.

B

binka

Wrasse are awesome fighters on a match rod. On a Cornish holiday, we fished off a lifeboat slipway and the water was so clear you could see them rush out and grab the bait (prawns) and spit it back out before you even got the tip moving. Even the little uns fight like billy-o. Marvellous colours, too.

It wasn't Sennen was it Rob?

Had some fantastic times at Lamorna Cove and Pemberth catching Wrasse off the rocks, as you say they're great sport and some nice fish turn up down there occasionally.

robtherake

Reaction score
It wasn't Sennen was it Rob?

Had some fantastic times at Lamorna Cove and Pemberth catching Wrasse off the rocks, as you say they're great sport and some nice fish turn up down there occasionally.

Almost bang on the money! We were staying at Sennen, but the place we fished was further round the corner (westward). Can't for the life of me remember the name of the place (there was a small, disused industrial facility close by - a concrete tower, or similar, if that helps).

Most of the wrasse we caught were hand-sized, but there were a few bigger fish up to a couple of pounds that gave the rods a proper workout. What is it about these sea species? They don't half pull!

Did you ever fish the little flooded quarry just up the road from the "First and Last" pub? I fished it with the bairns and we caught some lovely rudd, although there were the usual rumours of sodding great carp cruising the depths but we didn't see any evidence of them.

B

binka

Did you ever fish the little flooded quarry just up the road from the "First and Last" pub? I fished it with the bairns and we caught some lovely rudd, although there were the usual rumours of sodding great carp cruising the depths but we didn't see any evidence of them.

No, I never even knew it was there but probably would have done if I did lol.

The usual routine was to grab an early breakfast over in St Ives before heading over to Penzance for some rag worm from the tackle shop there then get down to a cove for a days fishing, caught no end of wrasse and small pollock but couldn't for the life of me bag a mackerel even with feathers and spinners :eek:mg:

Very nice part of the world down there, if I win the lottery I might flit if they could just divert the Trent to run through it too :)