Most lightest, fold flat chair. Ever

Quiver man

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing one of those cheapy rucksack/chair combos currently in aldi. I've not lost my senses but I would like a setup that will fit in the boot of a saloon car - rods, bags, the lot for two people so space is paramount. Said setup will also be used for work away days. My middy robo chair bag is just far too big, so I'm looking for something cheap and as compact as possible.

If anyone has any other advice on minimalist angling (mainly short sessions on commercials) I'd be very grateful.

theartist

Reaction score
Better option would be to get a separate rucksack and fold up stool and clip them together when on the move using the rucksack straps. The reason being that the ruckbag/chair combos are no good in mud/water as the contents of the bag will bare testament to after a few minutes sitting somewhere boggy.

paul1234

Reaction score
I think shakespeare does some bag and stool type things,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trotter2

Reaction score
They are Ok
I use one for traveling light on the river it does the job.

robtherake

Reaction score
What I've done is buy the ITM tabletop ruckbag, by Korum. The Korum accessory chair (that I already had) clips to the back of it, and off you go.

This combo - together with Korum 5-rod quiver, and Korum multi-mat (doubles as a bait bag and between-swim repository for any loose gear) carries all you need without breaking the bank or - more importantly - your back. Great kit, even if you do look like a walking advert :eek:mg:

This gear is well thought out, practical and hard-wearing. Not expensive either, by comparison to other decent brands.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

I think shakespeare does some bag and stool type things,

Those are horribly uncomfortable though, Paul. There doesn't seem to be a right way to sit on the bleedin' things. Shakespeare also do (or did) a folding camp stool in a carry bag with strap. It's loads better, and small enough folded up to fit in the front pocket of most small rucksacks. This is a National trust one which is essentially the same thing. It's surprisingly comfortable and holds my 12.5 stone easily.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/robtherake/004.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/robtherake/005.jpg

B

binka

There are a few versions of the fold flat stools with the backrests, I've got the Wychwood one which I chuck in the boot along with a travel rod if I'm away somewhere and think I might get a spot of fishing in.

They're not the most comfortable things as already mentioned but I reckon they're great for short, summer evening and roving sessions. This is the Wychwood....

The bag section separates away from the stool (can be used in place when sitting or separate) and there's a further, insulated bag inside it for bait etc all of which come in handy for other purposes when required...

paul1234

Reaction score
What I've done is buy the ITM tabletop ruckbag, by Korum. The Korum accessory chair (that I already had) clips to the back of it, and off you go.

This combo - together with Korum 5-rod quiver, and Korum multi-mat (doubles as a bait bag and between-swim repository for any loose gear) carries all you need without breaking the bank or - more importantly - your back. Great kit, even if you do look like a walking advert :eek:mg:

This gear is well thought out, practical and hard-wearing. Not expensive either, by comparison to other decent brands.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Those are horribly uncomfortable though, Paul. There doesn't seem to be a right way to sit on the bleedin' things. Shakespeare also do (or did) a folding camp stool in a carry bag with strap. It's loads better, and small enough folded up to fit in the front pocket of most small rucksacks. This is a National trust one which is essentially the same thing. It's surprisingly comfortable and holds my 12.5 stone easily.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/robtherake/004.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/robtherake/005.jpg

I had a cheap crappy black one years ago,for river sessions, 1 of them 3 legged jobs,that used to sink in the mud a treat haha

trotter2

Reaction score
If its a simple stool you would be better off with one of these

Portable Outdoor Camping Fishing Picnic Hiking Aluminum Chair Stool Black | eBay

The Ruckbag chair I use is one of the realtree jobs but not sure if you can get them now had mine for a few years.

outdoorgear|outdoorequipment|survival

The seat and backrest is padded out and is very comfortable to sit on for a couple of hours or all day on the river. Bag comes off it if you need to, Good piece of kit

Another way to go is buy a lightweight chair and just carry it in your net bag

NEW Camo Fold Flat Fishing Camping Hiking Chair Light Hunting Stalking Carp | eBay

Quiver man

Reaction score
Thankyou all, some decent info in there. Particularly the point about a detachable bag - never thought of that. The korum stuff is good but not a deal (if at all) smaller than my current set up. It certainly isn't going to go into a boot of a saloon car with another set up.

There are a few versions of the fold flat stools with the backrests, I've got the Wychwood one which I chuck in the boot along with a travel rod if I'm away somewhere and think I might get a spot of fishing in.

They're not the most comfortable things as already mentioned but I reckon they're great for short, summer evening and roving sessions. This is the Wychwood....

The bag section separates away from the stool (can be used in place when sitting or separate) and there's a further, insulated bag inside it for bait etc all of which come in handy for other purposes when required...

You've pretty much got what I'm trying to achieve here. I can easily get a couple of sets of that in a boot or the corner of van chock full of work stuff. As point out its not luxury but if it gets you out and about its a good thing and it's better than sat on a concrete platform (not another case of the Johnny Giles!!!!).

What do you do for a landing net handle? I've seen a cheapy collapsible job at argos which might do a job but it looks pretty flimsy.

trotter2

Reaction score
For river fishing I use an extendable Trout net, the type the lads use for rainbows.

Just one point Quiver man non of these bags will work on a slopping bank, don't know it you are aware of that.
If the banks is uneven I just use the unhooking mat to sit on, again that fits in the net bag. I like to travel light and keep moving when pleasure fishing :)

Last edited:
B

binka

What do you do for a landing net handle? I've seen a cheapy collapsible job at argos which might do a job but it looks pretty flimsy.

Glad it helped :)

I've got a compact, three piece telescopic fibreglass handle which goes to around seven and a half feet when assembled and stores down to two feet six... the one I've currently got is Daiwa but I think there are plenty of other alternatives and it's just slightly longer than the rod when packed away, along with a small triangular net with a spreader block so that it can also collapse.

The handle is something like this, cheap as chips too:

TELESCOPIC LANDING NET HANDLE - 4 SECTIONS - 66cm to 2.24M - MINT CONDITION. | eBay

There are numerous flip up nets now available like the trout nets but with a more suitable mesh size and depth, might be worth checking those out too:

Landing Net Fold Up. 55cm Wide. Extending Handle. Lightweight Strong & Reliable | eBay

The beauty of the first option is that you can choose a net size, or even several for different targets and just take the one you require on the day as opposed to being pretty much stuck with the flip up size.

You can get quite carried away with this compact, minimal fishing approach and I love it even down to the pen rods where practical, great fun and very much less is more and easier to get off out on a whim :) :)

slaphead

Reaction score
A word of caution.

I was fishing on one of my new club waters using one of those ruck stools.

The peg staging was without a back stop and there was an eighteen inch drop behind.

Intent on fishing I didn't realise the stool was moving backwards.

Result? 2 cuts to my right arm and bruising to my back and legs, and wet jeans and t-shirt. :eek:

My own stupid fault. :eek:mg:

Quiver man

Reaction score
A word of caution.

I was fishing on one of my new club waters using one of those ruck stools.

The peg staging was without a back stop and there was an eighteen inch drop behind.

Intent on fishing I didn't realise the stool was moving backwards.

Result? 2 cuts to my right arm and bruising to my back and legs, and wet jeans and t-shirt. :eek:

My own stupid fault. :eek:mg:

Good point well presented. I've fallen in from so many sorts of seating and situations though I've made it an art form.

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
I'd avoid combined chairs and bags. They're not particularly good at either. A smallish rucksack (check the camping kit websites - always stuff going cheap)on your back and a lightweight chair (I attach a strap to my old fox lightweight with a couple of lengths of Velcro) slung across the shoulder is the way to go, I reckon.

B

binka

I'd avoid combined chairs and bags. They're not particularly good at either.

Really?

I would say that after wrecking two Nash Nomad chairs along with a JRC Contact in a little over a year the Wychwood stool is still in perfect order a couple of years down the line despite something in the region of eighteen stone resting on it occasionally.

The detachable bag makes it easy to carry everything as one (there are also hand handles too) without limping along at an angle and suffering the dreaded multiple strap slide off the shoulders and the detachable bags are extremely versatile, especially when you double them up as front and rear rod rests.

And of course you can use the bags or the stool completely independently and without the other.

Drawbacks are that it's not overly comfortable for longer sessions but I don't use mine for that application and, of course, not good on sloping banks as already stated but given that the OP offered the following information I doubt either would be an issue...

(mainly short sessions on commercials)

I wouldn't avoid it at all, I would very much recommend it... I did and for thirty of forty notes they actually tick a lot of boxes for both roving and short session stints where it can live in the car boot when not in use :)

naxian62

Reaction score
Q Man, I've been using a grandeslam chair/ bag combo for the last 12 months for all my fishing. I cycle to my fishing venues so everything HAS to be compact and lightweight. With a few clever alterations, nothing wrong with 'em. Uncomfartable maybe, I average about 5 hour sessions, but your not actually sat down that much when you adopt the mobile approach.

trotter2

Reaction score
You can always make them more comfortable by a simple cushion of some sorts on the top, I use my cut down unhooking mat, but any piece of foam will do the job.

Get one they are brilliant, perfect for swim hopping.

Quiver man

Reaction score
You can always make them more comfortable by a simple cushion of some sorts on the top, I use my cut down unhooking mat, but any piece of foam will do the job.

Get one they are brilliant, perfect for swim hopping.

I don't swim hop generally and I'm sure the great British public don't want to see me rolling about like a weeble trying to get up if by luck I hook a big ' un.

Anyway......

UPDATE - turns out I CAN fit in two chairs in bags plus assorted gubbins, a white knuckle margin pole, feeder rod, shimano travel rod and two shortish landing net poles in the boot of a saloon car without dropping back seats (that don't drop anyway)Who knew????

I'm still a landing net pole short but that's easily fixable.