In search of the " perfect fishing knife"

jeff_de_jeff

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the best tool for this job. I have found on the internet one such knife that was perfect, but now can't remember the site name ( karma, your cruel) so my obsession continues! This knife had on it the following: 1 blade, 1 bait needle, 1 hollow disgorger ( ie not flat with the grooved end) 1 scissors. All of which seemed incredibly useful to have ready in a pocket. Of course I have all of these as separate items, but to have them all in one place to use ( & loose maybe) would be great

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

I hit post on iPad before I'd finished: I currently used a leatherman Wave, great knife & scissors, but a bit of a faff to use & certainly not one handed. Far more on it than I use & therefore a waste. I believe the knife I saw was a Puma 850 but, can't find the site to confirm. There are similar knives, but have a flat disgorger ( prefer round hollow one, less chance of slipping) & a pin ( why? ) not a bait needle. I'm at your collective mercy as my missus is loosing patience with my prattling.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If its a puma it will be expensive (try Heinnie.com) but Why would you want a knife with a baiting needle and a disgorger anyway? It just sounds too gimmicky IMHO!

All the knife I need is a Victorinox Swiss Army knife (Huntsman model) it is compact, has sharp blades and scissors, and most importantly it is legal carry in the uk! I hope you don't carry your Wave around the shops with you mate, it has locking blades and therefore if you dont have good reason to be carrying it then you can get into serious bother with the law!

By the way, be carefull if you go on Heinnie.com they have loads of nice knives and it can get quite addictive...Trust me :eek:mg:

jeff_de_jeff

Reaction score
Morning Mark, the idea of having everything in one place appeals. & yes my leatherman is permanently on my belt, I use it for work, and fishing. It's ridiculous that the idiots of the few who like to stab each other, tarnish the useful nature of having a tool on one's person. I shall check out that site now, thanks for the advice.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Morning Mark, the idea of having everything in one place appeals. & yes my leatherman is permanently on my belt, I use it for work, and fishing. It's ridiculous that the idiots of the few who like to stab each other, tarnish the useful nature of having a tool on one's person. I shall check out that site now, thanks for the advice.

I love Heinnie, some of the prices are steep, but Its mostly on the USA stuff they sell. The service they provide is legendary, I have ordered stuff at 4pm friday and received my item sat morning with normal 1st class post!

One more thing Jeff, talking about knife laws, you will be quite surprised to learn that there are some police officers that are a little vague about them too, and yes, I have met them, in fact some I have met make there own laws up as they go along :eek: :eek:mg:

michaels

Reaction score
Another vote for the Victorinox Swiss Army knife (Huntsman model) a cracking knife...

Quiver man

Reaction score
I love Heinnie, some of the prices are steep, but Its mostly on the USA stuff they sell. The service they provide is legendary, I have ordered stuff at 4pm friday and received my item sat morning with normal 1st class post!

One more thing Jeff, talking about knife laws, you will be quite surprised to learn that there are some police officers that are a little vague about them too, and yes, I have met them, in fact some I have met make there own laws up as they go along :eek: :eek:mg:

Knives are something I'm getting more into and feel that heinnie will get a chunk of my hard earned cash in the future. Scary!

If I was determined to stay legal and money was no object I'd get a leatherman juice s2. If you think you can take a chance with the fuzz I'd get the bigger but cheaper wingman - or even a cheapy rolson - something with pliers and decent scissors definitely. My tackle box is missing a knife of any description so it's something I need to address. That said being the clumsy sod I am I'm conscious of an expensive leather man sliding of my side tray into the murky depths never to be seen again.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another vote for the Victorinox Swiss Army knife (Huntsman model) a cracking knife...

The huntsman is about the most popular SAK according to the reviews on Amazon and the Swiss Army Knife forum (Yes, really!)
I have a Champion that my mum bought me when I was a volunteer ranger in the 80s but its just too big and bulky for everyday carry (EDC) and after many years the blades are past their best anyway (high Chromium steel is a pig to sharpen!) the Huntsman is just the right size and has just the right balance of (usefull!) tools to make it a very practical EDC knife. :)

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

Knives are something I'm getting more into and feel that heinnie will get a chunk of my hard earned cash in the future. Scary!

If I was determined to stay legal and money was no object I'd get a leatherman juice s2. If you think you can take a chance with the fuzz I'd get the bigger but cheaper wingman - or even a cheapy rolson - something with pliers and decent scissors definitely. My tackle box is missing a knife of any description so it's something I need to address. That said being the clumsy sod I am I'm conscious of an expensive leather man sliding of my side tray into the murky depths never to be seen again.

I have Leatherman Surge (new model) and its a beast but I use it around the house and never take it fishing, I would be quite upset if it went ''overboard'' :eek:

If anyone is interested in either Victorinox SAK or Leatherman, then try Amazon, I got my LM surge nearly £50 cheaper than anywhere else, cracking prices on SAKs too! :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I collect folding knives and use them fairly extensively for skinning game. However, I rarely carry anything when fishing. I simply don't find a use for them, beyond cubing the odd tin of luncheon meat. A decent plastic disgorger, forceps, small sharp scissors and a pair of needlenose/fishing pliers are far more useful than any knife, even one with alleged fishing tools on it.

There was a time that I was looking for an excuse to buy another knife for the collection, one made of totally rustproof steel, that could live in a tackle box. Ultimately, the lack of use it would get put me off the idea.

If you must have a knife of some description, I'd suggest that a Leatherman, Sog or Gerber multitool would be the best option.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Same as Sam. Can't see any use for a knife when fishing other than cutting up bits of luncheon meat or sausage or euthanising crayfish or fish to be used for deadbait. I use a Leatherman multi-tool that is far more useful than just a knife.

I can't understand anyone being confused about knife laws. They are quite simple and easily accessed online. And why someone should have had discussions about them with several police officers is a little strange. I can't remember ever once being asked about knife legislation in my 25 year police service. I took a few off of people who didn't want me to have them. But I usually did that with minimal discussion.

sumtime

Reaction score
I carry my Huntsman almost everywhere, never go fishing without it. The blade and scissors are excellent and when strolling around the park it's ideal for cleaning up feathers for use as floats. Before I retired I took it to work, used it on many ocassion, many a time I was asked for a loan to fix something or other. ;)

jeff_de_jeff

Reaction score
So it would appear that, in all reality I'm looking for a SAK, or do what has already been suggested and use what I've got the leatherman, thanks for the input, as sometimes I can get hung up on an idea that is without merit. Collectively I think you've saved me money, apart from you Mark, those Heinnies are needless tempting!! Cheers

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So it would appear that, in all reality I'm looking for a SAK, or do what has already been suggested and use what I've got the leatherman, thanks for the input, as sometimes I can get hung up on an idea that is without merit. Collectively I think you've saved me money, apart from you Mark, those Heinnies are needless tempting!! Cheers

Knives, folders especially, can be rather desirable and collectable, especially the up market brands from the USA.
I have a penchant for the Spyderco knives and once you have handled one you will know what I mean! ;) I do like fixed blades too, but only have a couple, my favorite being my Fallkniven F1 Swedish Pilots survival knife, its not to big (3 3/4 blade) Laminated steel with full tang and a really practical (and safe) kraton rubber handle. This cracking knife is allways carried in the bottom of my Bergen (sorry civies, rucksack!) along with my other camping gear and I would not be without it!

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Oh jeff,

Nearly forgot, the Huntsman is available from Amazon for an amazing price of £20!! ;)

B

binka

I must admit that after reading through this thread I'm quite taken back by all of these names, brands and types of knives?

I've never felt the need for one personally (not begrudging others mind) and some of these things sound like quite flash bits of kit... purely out of interest what sort of prices are you talking about for some of the stuff mentioned?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I must admit that after reading through this thread I'm quite taken back by all of these names, brands and types of knives?

I've never felt the need for one personally (not begrudging others mind) and some of these things sound like quite flash bits of kit... purely out of interest what sort of prices are you talking about for some of the stuff mentioned?

Bink, take a look on Heinnie Haynes website...

Price depends on what you want to pay, for instance, the Spyderco USA made folders average between £80-£200, but you can get Chinese (but still good) for around £40!
I have a really nice, well made Italian folder (Maserin) that I paid £50 for and it is sheer quality! My Fallkniven F1 cost around £100 but another Scandi brand, ENZO, make some superb fixed blade and folding knives with exotic steels and handles made of fancy wood and micarta for around £80, they are very nice indeed!

jeff_de_jeff

Reaction score
You've just reminded me, I have a folding Spyderco which I bought many moons ago from a PX, I little excessive, but nice one handed action though, it will scare the blighters out if the water with one flick! Not something I would like to carry though, looks too aggressive.

B

binka

Bink, take a look on Heinnie Haynes website...
!

Mark, believe me I'm tempted mate but I'm trying my damndest to resist!

The last time you suggested a website to me it was Harrissportsmail and I'm now several hundred quid down the line :eek:mg: :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark, believe me I'm tempted mate but I'm trying my damndest to resist!

The last time you suggested a website to me it was Harrissportsmail and I'm now several hundred quid down the line :eek:mg: :D

Hey Bink, you would really like the Maxpedition packs and bags...Amazing quality!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey bink,
I even bought a whistle for £17!

Well it is stainless steel and looks really classy hanging round my neck on my paracord dog trainers lanyard!! :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I just want to raise (as someone else has) the issue of knives and the law again;

I'll make it absolutely clear that I don't know what the law is around actually carrying a knife on your person, but I was under the impression it has or had something to do with blade length ? (Was it 4" or am I wrong on that??)
I used to carry a belt hanging knife but decided to change to a smaller one that sits in my fishing bag at all times simply because I (eventually) couldn't see a reason to have it on me..........
Not to say others don't need to carry one with multiple attachments etc but like most things of that ilk, how many times do you use all the extras that warrant the outlay?

Anyway, I thought I would raise the length issue in the hope that those who do 'carry' are not carrying an 'offensive weapon'. I can just see a policeman stopping someone to find they have 6" blade knife with the owner giving the reason for doing so "I'm a fisherman actually"................................

Answers on a postcard!