newbie post!

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Hi all! My names cal, I'm 18 years of age and I live in Retford , North Notts.

I'm not so new to angling as I've been fishing for 3 or 4 years so far and I guess I've picked it up pretty quickly! I'm kind of a carp angler but not so much to the extent of living in a bivvy for days on end, I've done a couple of overnighters but I'm more interested in a good old early start and sitting out a good 12 hour+ day session! Although I'd said I'm a carp angler I do a hell of a lot of pleasure fishing hunting for all sorts of specimens and luckily for me Retford has some top class fishing spots including the Chesterfield canal which is full of some great coarse species, the River Idle which ive seen barbel of over 10lb in and there's the coarse fisheries too which isnt too bad either! As well as this there are some huge gravel pit lakes out of Retford which I'm going to be fishing over the next couple of months and we're not far from plenty of other fisheries and rivers... including the River Trent!

Due to my mates being a bit sick of hearing about my fishing ideas and escapades, I decided it was time to join a forum for a good old bit of fishing talk... I'm hoping to achieve some goals this year and this place seems like where I need to be for the tips!

thanks, cal!

B

binka

Welcome aboard and enjoy FM Cal!

I've enjoyed many a session on the Chessie but have still to wet a line on the Idle (I spent many a longing lunchtime on a bridge overlooking the river whilst studying at the nearby Eaton Hall International many years ago and it is indeed a haunt of our beloved flightliner).

Get on the Trent now, these things come around in cycles and the barbel fishing is second to none and if you have the time to input the river carp go well over thirty :)

Tight lines...

flightliner

Reaction score
Cal sutt, welcome to FM. Hope you enjoy the banter . If you're into pike you're possibly around some of the most successful guys in the region-- no, I, ll stick my neck out-- in the country ( with one Sheffield exception), just dont tell em I said so.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Thanks all!

Welcome aboard and enjoy FM Cal!

I've enjoyed many a session on the Chessie but have still to wet a line on the Idle (I spent many a longing lunchtime on a bridge overlooking the river whilst studying at the nearby Eaton Hall International many years ago and it is indeed a haunt of our beloved flightliner).

Get on the Trent now, these things come around in cycles and the barbel fishing is second to none and if you have the time to input the river carp go well over thirty :)

Tight lines...

The Idle is definitely worth a try!! Especially in the summer as it goes crystal clear and the best method by far is freelined floating bread, you are able to see literally everything that happens right before you're eyes, truly a good days fishing all the time!! Roll on river season for that and the Trent sessions!!!

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) welcome cal-sutt hope you enjoy fm.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.