World Champs Again

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I see that we won World Team and Individual gold medals in Italy again this weekend. Not newsworthy enough for the BBC again, a travesty given our record in World championships, and the number of anglers in the country.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Come on gary,lets be fair.....the bbc ran a story on the news this morning about 7:30am about organized gangs of poachers stealing trout from a river (can`t remember it`s name). Two stories about angling in one day would be too much for them to cope with,people might end up thinking they`re pro fishing /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif!!!

Specihunter

Reaction score
Maybe ourbunch ofslave's sorry i meant footballers should take note on how to win away .

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
England have won Team Gold with an awesome display over the two days, beating home favourites Italy by 46pts on Saturday and then finishing today with a fourth place 53pts. Their total of 75pts was well clear of nearest rivals San Marino (104pts) and Italy (109pts), who produced a late charge to take the bronze position.

England's Will Raison also confirmed his first day's section win with a 2nd in section today for a total of 3pts and a Gold medal. Ireland's Willy Wheeler and England's Steve Gardener took silver and bronze places respectively.

Noel80

Reaction score
Great performance.

San Marino came second /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

C

Colin North, the one and only

Well done England. Stuff the BBC.

Lee Woodhouse

Reaction score
I wonder has anyone actually told the BBC or other news agencies?

We seem to fail miserably in the publicity stakes compared to other sports.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
yet another great result for england. Its a pity that we dont get the coverage we should.

MJ

Reaction score
I am not surprised in the slightest that there has been no BBC coverage. Why would there be?

Freshwater Angling as a competitive sport is way down the list of priorities. I mean come on, there are other fringe sports like Sailing and Cycling where England also excel, and these are olympic sports, but you never see any coverage other than the Olympics themselves.

Yes, fishing is a big participation sport, but the proportion of us that actually compete is relatively small. Most pleasure (esp. carp) anglers couldnt name the current England team.

I am made up that we as a nation are successful at angling. Will Raison and Emma Pickering are great examples of role models for our young anglers to aspire to. But, I think we need to be realistic about getting non-anglers excited about it. Angling will have to get very smart, and reinvent itself for the TV bosses show any interest.

slime monster

Reaction score
well done the lads ,however we look at the angling press and a lot of anglers do not buy the weeklys without them we would have to rely on hand me down news about such achievements how sad but as far as i can remember it has always been this way and thats even sadder.

Andy M

Reaction score
What I would like to know is what did they catch. All I see are points and weights - what species? Anybody any idea?

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I also see that Mark Addy won the Individual Gold medal for the Veterans in Portugal, unfortunately we did not get a team medal. I make that a clean sweep of Junior, under 19, Womens, Mens & Veterans. Isn't that a newsworthy event?

Noel80

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Andy M wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>What I would like to know is what did they catch. All I see are points and weights - what species? Anybody any idea?</blockquote>

Click here

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Noel80

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Gary Dolman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I also see that Mark Addy won the Individual Gold medal for the Veterans in Portugal, unfortunately we did not get a team medal. I make that a clean sweep of Junior, under 19, Womens, Mens & Veterans. Isn't that a newsworthy event?</blockquote>

That is incredible. Especially that they were all on different venues etc.

This must be a first?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a press release from the NFA.

When it comes to stuff like Fish'O'Mania they're pretty good but I've just had to file my weekly newspaper column based on the sketchiest of details gleaned from the Internet and no pictures of the triumphant team/ individuals.

The match ended on Sunday afternoon, it's now Tuesday afternoon.

Put yourself in the sports editor's seat of any major newspaper. Are you going to send a reporter to cover this match? If you did, could he sit in a press box and watch? No, it's a nightmare event to cover as a journalist, so you await the press release from the governing body. If it ain't arrived by 5pm Sunday the story is more or less dead.

Would you wait three days to hear if Accrington Stanley won last weekend?

PS: Is it true Man U have signed Rooney?

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

No -strangely enough I didn't.

At least the NFA have got somethng out today - a one liner announcing the double gold and saying full report to come - now this is quicker than previous victories - Emma Pickering, Mark Addy, the "Colts" etc - however since the website linked to AT/IYFC was doing a daily blog and had a report up by yesterday afternoon - this still isn't really good enough.

I have stated before the admiration I have for the work the NFA is doing at all levels of the sport BUT at a time where the BBC sport media have gold medal fever these events should be being rammed down the beebs throats. I imagine that the NFA PR have contacted the BBC but perhaps the work on this front needs to be reviewed - do they have any form of film crew producing material the broadcasters can use - after all reporters use camera phones to get reports back from remote/dangerous zones</blockquote>From the World Champions 2008 thread - yesterday afternoon

We're singing from the same hymn sheet Bob - I've commented elsewhere at how long these reports take to get on the NFA website - at least the one liner appeared; in Emma Pickering and Mark Addy's cases the NFA reports appeared at least two days after the full set of results were published by FIPS (oddly Fips were slow of the mark with the full breakdown on this one -it is normally uploaded in full within a couple of hours of the final whistle!)