Small River Chubbing

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Good article, I used to fish the river Mease many years ago, with the Kingfisher club. I used to make up a ball of cheesepaste and keep it in my box until it got used. The smellier it got, the better, many great memories of winter afternoons spending ten or 15 minutes in each swim.

I have lived in Cornwall for nearly 20 years, and have recently discovered the River Culme in Devon, looking forward to giving it a go.

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Sorry i just replied to this article by starting a new forum. Forgot to check out this part of the site.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Post it again on here Peter, I've just deleted the other thread.

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
OK Graham. Take 2.

Nice article Tom. One of my favourite methods and one I was going to have a bash at last weekend on the upper Stour but thought it might be carrying too much water so went elsewhere.

I have a question. Liquidised bread or mash? I tend to opt for liquidised but don't really know why. I can always add water at the river if I think the flow is too strong and think the bread would end up a couple of swims downstream. Does anyone have any insight or is it simply a matter of personal preference?

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Just thought of a P.S.

Tom does not mention luncheon meat as a bait. I've always found it works well on my river.

J

John McLaren

Definitely my favourite type of fishing - the Dane is especially good - not seen a 5lber yet though - but 4lb is still a big chub in my book, especially when it comes from a relatively small river.

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
Has anybody fished the river wyre at st micheals lately? Not been there for years, used to be some excellent chub sport in there

B

Bully

Peter - re liquidized v's mash. While I am no expert (I think the Ed may be the best person), My rule of thumb was liquidized in clearer water conditions, mash when there is more colour......for small stream fishing that is. I like using mash on larger rivers.

......there again I haven't read the article, which I will do now!

slime monster

Reaction score
nice article, took me back to shakey bridges on the sow a tiny meandering gin clear stream barely a rods width in parts but it held monster chub and it was with a mix of anticipation and trepidation as you offered a large bait to these fish usually a lobworm .

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bully wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Peter - re liquidized v's mash. While I am no expert (I think the Ed may be the best person), My rule of thumb was liquidized in clearer water conditions, mash when there is more colour......for small stream fishing that is. I like using mash on larger rivers.

......there again I haven't read the article, which I will do now!</blockquote>I tend to use liquidised more in slower flows and mash otherwise. Liquidised is a lot lighter and tends to lift more in currents.

B

Bully

Makes sense. I suppose the same conditions, but I had never really thought about my reasoning other than when it was clear I wanted a cloud drawing them in (in small rivers) without too much feed, where as the mash tends to be more visible in coloured water.

I thought that was a really "neat" article, keeping to some good basics. For years my only fishing was in really small streams (e.g. top end of the Medway, Mole, Wey) and even some of their tributaries where you could literally jump across!

One thing I used to stick to was always fish first without baiting, perhaps try introducing a little if no luck in 5 mins, then move on after 15 mins. If you think it could hold a fish, then a small bit of bait in. I wasn't a great believer in doing that if you were not going to return within 45 mins......I tended to rotate 2/3 swims at most and then keep moving. So say 3 swims in an hour and just keeping moving.

.........and being very quiet

.........and I never had a seat!!

Once again, well written, nice one.

DEAN ASTON

Reaction score
I did 3 season fishing the small river sow . I had some cracking days taking chub to over 5 lb . I took very little tackle as i was roaming the river i would put mashed bread in some chub looking swims and fished each of them a rig i did well on was to fish acrust with the swan shot only 2 inches away from the hook. At this moment im looking around to find a small river i can go chub fishing when the barbel dont want to play in winter

blankety blank

Reaction score
Good article. I love this sort of chubbing on the upper Yare and Iapproach it in very much the same way. One bit of tackleI have found useful is a Shakespeare seat/bag combo. Its a folding stool which incorporates a bag and shoulder strap. The sort of thing you would normally turn your nose up at, but its just the ticket for this sort of fishing.

Small stream chubbing is also an excellent excuse for dusting off the pin too!

Specihunter

Reaction score
i do have a few questions

1 if i don't have a 1 1/4 tc rod will a 1 1/2 be ok

2 if i know theres a few big fish can i go a little heavier with regards to line, hooklink and rod tc and quiver.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Dont change the quiver on account of the size of the fish speci, pick it due to the strength flow and weight your using.

R

Robert Woods

Excellent article...I love chub fishing on River Dane when it's cold & frosty. Just take some liquidised bread, smelly "last year's" cheese paste and meat. I have a small bit of meat is a good change bait. I also flavour bread with ASDA garlic infused olive oil not thatI think it makes a difference. Nice to see Eddie in action on Weaver.../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

Skoda

Reaction score
Splendid article Tom, my favourite chub bait on the small Yorkshire rivers, Nidd and Swale was cheese paste made purely from Kraft Cheese slice. If it was cold enough it just moulded perfectly. Unfortunately the 'new' slices are very soft and have to be mixed with bread. Anybody know of a slice that can be used neat?

Andy