Rules are rules

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Rather than taking the "too many rules" thread off track I've started this
If a water has rules - is it ok for the owner, club official or bailiff to turn a blind eye if some break the rules but are sensible?

Say no tins but the bailiff turn a blind eye if you take a couple of tins and take them home with you?

Or a water I've fished had a "no boilies" rules but the owner and bailiff would let angler fish with them as long as they didn't pile in kilos of them
Personally I think it's not right and it will just encourage those who will abuse it

Reaction score
Where would we be with too many rules?

GERMANY!

Where would we be without any rules?

FRANCE!

Where would we be if the rules allowed us to fight with cattle?

SPAIN!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And where would we be if virtually every individual of, say, seven years and above in a country's population had decided that "That Rule (a.k.a. "any rule") doesn't apply to me."?

Here, the present day UK.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To quote my favourite role model and war hero.

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men".

Douglas Bader

benh

Reaction score
I know lots of places that work just like this. The rules are to deter numpties, and the owner relaxes them when he knows you're sensible. Works for me. I know one place went this way, with a boilie ban, after a couple of guys put 27 kilos in overnight, on a pond of 3/4 an acre with 20 something carp in, and planned to put more in during the following day

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) its very simple lord paul if you don't like the rules then don't fish the water
I am with you on this one I don't think it's right to flout the rules of a given water but sad to-say many people are of the opinion that rules simple don't apply to them road tax, car insurance, m.o.t, driving licence, rod licence etc.

Steve2020

Reaction score
Rules are there for a reason and as mentioned by benh they're probably put in place to deter the numpties that seem to go overboard with things ie: groundbait or boilies, there's a day ticket lake close to me that has a groundbait ban in place although the owner does let me use it when there isn't anybody else around I've no idea why he chose to tell me this but I presume that he thinks I'm OK and I perhaps seem like a responsible angler, either that or he fancies me :)

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
funnysign_zps5dfb8b69.jpg

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Rules are there for a reason and as mentioned by benh they're probably put in place to deter the numpties that seem to go overboard with things ie: groundbait or boilies, there's a day ticket lake close to me that has a groundbait ban in place although the owner does let me use it when there isn't anybody else around

Have a similar scenario on a couple of pools I fish, allowed to use groundbait and tigernuts in an attempt to catch some very elusive carp, didn't make the slightest difference the carp ignored both.

vort

Reaction score
There is a 'fishing only from the platforms' rule on a nearby lake.
Didn't stop the bailiff beckoning me over to a gap between the bushes where he had spotted a sizeable carp basking. As it happens, it swam away before I could drop a bit of crust in :-(

We live in a free country. We can break the rules whenever we want - just as long as we are prepared to deal with the consequences.