Bait Boat

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Would anybody like to volunteer to answer a couple of Q's about the AM Receiver in my boat ?

1. Does a receiver have to be powered by seperate batteries from the 6v batteries that run the motor ?

2. If this is so, how has the boat been managing to run properly without any batteries being connected to the receiver ?

Lyndon Hughes

Reaction score
I dont have much experiance with bait boats but have quiet a bit of experiance with radio control systems in cars and aircraft,your receiver should have a BEC in it which eliminates the need to have a seperate battery for the receiver,this allows it to run of the main battery.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks Lyndon,

Can you help ?

what is happening is when I switch the boat on the motor starts to turn. I thought maybe it was the receiver as there is nothing connected to the BATT socket. Which is why I didn't uderstand how the boat was running if the receiver wasn't connected to a supply.

But I have had a proper look and it has a battery eliminator on it and runs off the 6v batteries which power everything else. So it isn't that.

Anyway - I can see the servo for the rudder and the speed controller are working when I operate the handset. Any ideas why the motor just turns continuously ? This happened the day after taking it out when it was raining. Could it be that maybe something got wet and just needs to dry out ? I hope so !!!

I have a basic understanding of how the boat works but trouble shooting and pinpointing the problem a different matter !!!

Lyndon Hughes

Reaction score
It could be that there is a bit of damp in it.Does the motor run very fast?if not does your transmitter have a trim switch on it for throttle,if it does just try lowering the trim switch,the only other thing i can think of is that the speed controller needs resetting up.

Spoddy Dave dst

Reaction score
might be worth joining and asking on this siteJimbo model boats

i made my own bait boat and needed help with the wiring fromthem....they sorted me out

does sound like the speed controller to me

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
It seems to be a problem with the speed controller. Is is an Astec HFR15 Electronic speed controller, there is obviously a current going across when in the null position which is causing the motor to turn. I reckin it's had long enough to dry out if it was damp.

Any ideas Lyndon, Spoddy ???? How would I reset it ?

Lyndon Hughes

Reaction score
Jimbo.is the motor running fast when you switch on or is it just turning and then when you open throttle it throttles up properly to full speed?As to resetting the speed controller they can vary so much,you can try this,switch on handset with throttle stick in full throttle position,make sure the boats props cant foul on anything then switch on boat,if the motor doesnt turn then pull throttle stick back to no throttle,leave for a couple of seconds then switch boat off then handset off,you must do it in that order though,then switch handset on switch boat on and see what happens,i wish you were a bit closer i would have a look at it for you its easyer to do it hands on rather than on here,hope this is of some help.

C

Cakey

transmitter1.gif

look at the throttle trim lever should be near middle

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Hiya Lyndon, just done what you said and it didn't make any difference. The transmitter will change the direction from backwards to forwards and vice versa. It also operates the servo for the rudder correctly so I don't think it is the transmitter or the receiver.

The motor is running fast. The handset will change the direction but doesn't affect the speed.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks Cakey, I found that page yesterday but nothing I try helps. Funny I can't find one in their shop just incase mine really is Kaput. Infact I can't find one anywhere. Are you able to tell me of any other makes which I could replace it with if thats what I have to do?

C

Cakey

if you think its the speed controller take it out and send it to me and I will have a look at it for you........................................

C

Cakey

got a whole baiboat in for repair now...........................