The dreaded snow....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It's that time of year when the Willows shed their seeds.
Those White fluffy bits that float in clumps at the windward end of lakes.
If you are using a rod with small eyes on the tip this fluff can lock your line as you reel in, not great when you have an angry carp on the hook. Quivertips can fold round and snap. If it gets on your line it's tricky to get off. Even worse if it gets in your eyes. It has minute barbs and gets stuck, this can lead to infection. I suffered it once and had to go to hospital to get it sorted.
I'm sure many of you know this already but those who don't, be careful....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The 'fluffy stuff' as it known on one water I fish has to be seen to be believed! I have to say I didn't know about the 'infection' bit mentioned above but I tend to avoid this water until after it has sunk or whatever it does....
What I cannot understand is why as many as a dozen trees/bushes were planted tight to the waters edge when they must've known it would end up in the water. Obviously not fishermen !!
I have suggested to the club that a boat complete with floating boom would 'gather' most of the stuff or at least contain it in one corner of the lake but it fell on deaf ears....

Not much will drag me from the waters edge but one year I just couldn't stand it any longer and went home at 8am having tried to shift it with a landing net just to get a cast but like 'Quatermass' of yesteryear it closed over and swallowed all before it.................

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Even worse if it gets in your eyes. It has minute barbs and gets stuck, this can lead to infection. I suffered it once and had to go to hospital to get it sorted. I'm sure many of you know this already but those who don't, be careful....

I didn't know that Simon, thanks for the "heads-up"