How did you get on then?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Mixed fortunes for me... Blanked on Marsworth Res last Wed.
2 carp Thursday, biggest 11lb at Lizard W. Drayton on pellet waggler. Jerry had a few too..
Saturday a silvers only match on Boddington Res Northants. It was like sitting on a sea wall in a storm. Pole didn't even come out of the bag. Fished 3m whip and caster/hemp for 18lb, all roach to 8oz.
Came roughly 10th out of 18. 29lb won it.
Today fished the open at Marsworth Res...
15, including me blanked...winner had 2 bream for 10lb. 2nd had 1 roach bream hybrid for 7lb. It fought so hard we thought it was a carp!!
17 fished.
How did you do?

neil1970

Reaction score
I hadn't been out for a whole 9 days due to a touch of work,
and other commitments.

Luckily the wife took pity on me, so I went out for about 3 hours yesterday on the canal. I pretty much never fish weekends; that may change soon though:eek:

I tried a bit of light lure fishing and drop shotting under and near 3 bridges, which resulted in nothing, but a few pleasant chats throughout the walk.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Fished twice this week...

Wednesday:
Float fishing session, sensitive crystal waggler, size 16 hook, half a worm on the hook. Mainly perch but had a few roach and chub plus a bonus small tench!
Nothing special, perch were to about 1lb due to one large one caught on a full worm, chub to about 2lb, roach to about 10oz and the tench was about 2lb maybe 3lb.

Saturday:
Maggot feeder session with one of my carp rods. Was quite fun really, weather was a bit grim in the morning but had 7 or 8 carp to about 12lb, loads of tench to about 5lb-6lb, had a couple of bream too. All in all a good days fishing coming out with around 25 fish.

The rest of my free time this week has consisted of pre-baiting a swim on a gravel pit lake just out of Retford. It's a large lake filled mostly with 20s plus there's a healthy amount of 30s. Big carp session will be coming soon! Saw carp moving around my baited area so I chucked out some large chunks of crust over the area and a carp of about 25lb+ came up and scoffled one of the pieces.

Good week really, commercial session this Wednesday, plus more pre-baiting!

neil1970

Reaction score
I had to drop the car off for a service and mot this morning, so I thought I'd have a rainy walk home along the canal.
I also wanted to try out my new drop shot rod.

I used a fox rage micro fry and pretty soon this tiny chap came along:

Then as the rain got heavier I decided to shelter under a bridge, and carry on fishing - this lively little fella was on on the first chuck; quite pleased as it's the first pike I've caught. :)

nicepix

Reaction score
My fishing has been on hold for two weeks while we have had family over. The plan was to drop them off at the airport on Tuesday then head out in the camper van for some mullet fishing yesterday. At around 6am Tuesday morning we got a text to say that their flight was cancelled due to a problem at EMA, so they had to stay until this afternoon. I'll be off in the morning and will stay until Sunday evening or early Monday morning. I'd have stayed another couple of days except that I've arranged to do a job on Monday afternoon :(

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
my poor fishing buddy had such bad luck - he kept catching carp after carp between 7lb and 12lb and he looked on with envy as I, sat in the next swim, caught lovely bream, the biggest one about 3lb

sampras43

Reaction score
2 carp Thursday, biggest 11lb at Lizard W. Drayton on pellet waggler. Jerry had a few too..
Saturday a silvers only match on Boddington Res Northants. It was like sitting on a sea wall in a storm. Pole didn't even come out of the bag. Fished 3m whip and caster/hemp for 18lb, all roach to 8oz.
15, including me blanked...winner had 2 bream for 10lb. 2nd had 1 roach bream hybrid for 7lb. It fought so hard we thought it was a carp!!
17 fished.
How did you do?

Which lake at Lizard Simon?

I'm there next week.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Ta, are there also many silvers/roach in the specimen lake?

I fancy a go on the waggler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are some roach/rudd but not as many, or big, as the other pit. It's mainly noted for carp to 30lbs, some tench to 10ish, perch/chub that have 'flooded' in from the river and snotties to 8ish.

sampras43

Reaction score
There are some roach/rudd but not as many, or big, as the other pit. It's mainly noted for carp to 30lbs, some tench to 10ish, perch/chub that have 'flooded' in from the river and snotties to 8ish.

Thanks

I'll give it a bash next week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Very minimal fishing this week due to yet another undesirable stay at Stoke Mandeville Hospital earlier in the week......
However, not to be beaten I managed a session yesterday and today and enjoyed some carp fishing using anchored crust. Sunny and almost hot yesterday turned into 6 hours of rain/drizzle today but no matter as it was especially good to be on the bank.

In this particular case size didn't matter a jot !

Might manage a shorty on Sat otherwise it's Tuesday as work folk will flood to the banks on BH Monday..

Good luck to those out over the weekend....

neil1970

Reaction score
I had a lovely few hours taking my daughter on her second fishing expedition; she had been asking for ages and a chance presented itself.

We went to somewhere I knew she'd catch a few, and it was nice that we had the place to ourselves.

Busy doing something:

Almost finished:

The result:

Eight little Rudd, no casting, but everything else through to unhooking and release:)

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Loaded up the camper van and set off early Friday morning for the Marans area. The town is an inland port dating back over a thousand years and is situated in a vast area of fenland that was created by draining a shallow bay. I had been there a couple of years ago in summer and seen some good sized mullet and roach in the canal that runs through the main town streets. The mullet was my target, but I was aware that it is still early for them and hoped that the warmer winter we had might have worked in my favour. Little Wife is on a short break in England so it was just the dog, the cat and myself aboard the camper.

I had researched nearby places using Google Earth and had a list of places to look at around Marans. The first was a small village where one of the main rivers ran through and that river is one of the best spots for eels for which the area is famous. That was 'Plan B' if the mullet weren't in residence. The river looked in fine form and I noted that I could park in the village square, right next to the river, picnic table, refuse bin and restaurant. We all had lunch and I explored the river on foot with the dog. That ticked off I set off to reccy the other places. One of them is called The Port of Five Abbeys where in medieval times the landlocked abbeys were only able to trade via barges. Unfortunately the subsequent road that now accesses the inland saltwater lake was not constructed for a two and a quarter metre wide, three tonne camper so I had to make do with another area where the sea gates hold back a narrow canal and trap the mullet inland at low tide. Plenty of small fish, but none of the quality ones I was after. I found two more areas that weren't as promising then headed back to spend the late afternoon at the first place I visited.

Once I had set the van up for the night I fished the river using red worm on the bottom hoping for one of the large eels that the area is known for. Night fishing is not allowed in France on public waters, except for carp fishing in designated areas. That meant I had to stop fishing just as the eels would have been thinking about feeding. One of the realities of life in France. I did catch a few Poisson Chat, an ugly looking invasive species that appears to be a love child of a bullhead and catfish or maybe a mermaid and Wayne Rooney. They have to be killed as they are taking over the world - allegedly.

Those boats are left on the slipway, not chained or locked all year round.

Next morning we were up at 7am and off to Marans an hour later. I went to buy some bread on my way to the canal and left my tackle outside the shop. Imagine doing that in Barnsley. It would be on display at Cash Convertors before I left the bread shop. When I got out I found two old French guys drooling over my cane rod and old Trudex reel that was propped up against the wall. We had a conversation, me in French and they in English and it seems that one of them had some cane rods, but none of the quality of the Chapmans. The canal system in Marans takes some working out. They are all connected to the sea, but some are more saline than others.

I walked the banks in vain looking for signs of mullet. Eventually I found several pods of small mullet clinging to the shoreline near to the industrial zone. None were worth fishing for so I crossed a bridge and followed the shoreline of the opposite bank where eventually I saw shoals of small fish being harried by larger predators, probably bass. I had no spinning tackle with me so it was worm on the hook to try and tempt them. The wind was strong and gusty and right in my face. This made casting a float using a centrepin quite difficult. It was cold too. And I discovered that the only place to get a bite was right at the edge of my casting ability and that was only when pausing until the wind dropped a bit. Lesser men would have gone back to the camper for a carbon rod and fixed spool reel. But I am made of sterner stuff! (And the dog was knackered to be fair. She's not as young or fit as she one was). So I persevered with my 10 foot cane rod and old centrepin reel and caught some fish. Not bass or mullet though. First fish was a roach and then a succession of bream. Saltwater skimmer bream.............

And that was about it. No mullet of any size, just a few alien catfish, a small roach, groundhog day with the bream and a handful of young 'mules' as the French call them to show for my efforts. If the weather had been as forecast I would have stayed another night. But it was a lot colder, more blustery and a bit wetter than forecast, so after tea I put everything away and headed for home, stopping at this 16th century pigeon post building for a cuppa and to stretch all our legs.....

bennygesserit

Reaction score
17 fished.
How did you do?

Wow can you get a roach bream hybrid that goes 7lb that must be some fish

flightliner

Reaction score
Nice Clive, the "never touched" canoes reminded me of a little place outside of Milan. Busy town square, guy selling books pulling down the canves awnings on his handcart and just walking away till the following morning with no concerns at all.
Just never happen in the uk!!!!
The brackish canal in marans ----- you could be in Livorno on the italian coast with that foto.
The Bream--- that one you show must be fed up of boots, it'd only been local ten minutes having just landed from one of Jerrys famous drop kicks.:D