water quality

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
After the recent heavy rain the water at the lake I fish is now a brown muddy colour.

Ihave been told that when it is like that there is little or no hope of catching anything let alone the carp.

Is this correct ?

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Chance of catching the same ? Maybe try somethig else other than normal ?

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
The fish will be having a good sniff around if they're hungry, try summet smelly.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
if the water is like tea then all that will have changed for the fish is the amount of visibility they have. Think about it like this; at night time and without a torch all your other senses seem to work harder dont they, you can hear better and you can smell things better. It is the same for the fish. They will rely on their sense of smell and taste which is better than ours and they have a lateral line which they also use to their advantage. Use the same baits as before but for a bit more confidenceperhaps you could boost them with a glug or dip.

Hows the new sprog ?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've always found it hard going when a normally clear lake goes 'muddy-brown' after heavyrain.

I'm not sure the problem is just a visibility issue for the fish. I suspect the water changes in many other ways, such as dissolved oxygen levels and Ph values ect...

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>jumpin jimbo wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>No, okay then. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Sorry, pay me £30k a year with a company car and fuel,andand I'll spend my whole time on here...../forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

its not the water colour - if anything the clouding up will probably help with getting them to feed. as mark alludes to, it can be a combination of temperature change, oxygen levels (though they should be better) and any possible effluents washed into the lake.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Ok, cheers a lot, gonna get a dip to boost the smell like Trev suggested.

Alright Trev, howz you ? The Smudge is doin just fine Ta. Only sleeps for about 18hrs a day now which is fine by me. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

i wouldn't worry about dips, etc - ok it wont hurt but if they can smell worms in muddy water, its not going to effect manmade baits much. think fish not human.......

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
I get the idea, visibility may be low but sense of smell would be used more to locate food.

I wanted to know coz i was plannin to go tomorrow and some one was trying to tell me not to waste my time.

I'll still use a dip though as I think it might help, let you know how I get on Trev.

F

Frothey

EVERYBODY uses dips though, might work against you. plus theres dips, and theres dips - if you get my meaning.

whatever gives you confidence though......