Rod repair advice

daji

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've just noticed that my favourite rod has a small (1.5 inch) crack running length ways up the mid section of my rod. It's located about 3-4 inches above the the join to the butt section. I'm not sure how long it has been there but i'm hoping it's simple enough for me to repair :confused:

robtherake

Reaction score
You could try whipping over the crack (ooer missus!) starting an inch before and finishing an inch after the damaged area. Inspect closely with a magnifying glass to find the true end of the split - a hair fine extension of the crack will be hard to spot. A couple of coats of varnish finishes the repair.

I'll go out on a limb here and assume you've never attempted whipping a rod. It's a simple enough process; this video will show you how:

Rod Building Tips Part 2 - Basic Whipping

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) good morning daji, sound advice from robtherake I would use grade d nylon thread and then seal your whipping with thread master chroma seal
before you varnish it , daji try HOPKINS & HOLLOWAY you can get all you will need from them. (good luck).

daji

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Watched the video and think i can manage that Rob. Also thanks HuntersMoon for your awesome mind reading ability answering what would have been my next 2 question's :D