Polarizing lens advice!

chav professor

Reaction score
OK..... One bit of kit I have always wanted to treat myself to is a pair of prescription polarizing sun glasses - and boy! they are expensive.......

With all the different shades; amber, grey, Jeeze the list is endless...

Normally I don't get a choice, its whatever I can manipulate around my glasses.

couple of things:

Anyone recommend a place to order prescription polarizing glasses.

Which shade is on average, best in the majority of cases?

Yes, they are expensive.... but far cheaper than lazer eye surgery!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Can't help on the prescription stuff....its only advancing years that have forced me into the ranks of those needing glasses for close up stuff. In my younger days my myopic mate Big Phil oft remarked that I had eyesight "like a shithouse rat" ....which I always took to be a compliment.

In terms of lens colour I would say Yellow. I have several pairs of sunglasses in various colours but its the yellows that see most use because I'm more often fishing in low light conditions than not. Think about it.... you might find you are too.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've used Optilabs and had really good service.

As for colour; my choice for freshwater fishing is brown or pinkish brown. However, if most of your fishing is done at one end of the day or the other then yellow will give you a bit more seeing time as putting on a pair of yellow lenses at dusk is like turning the lights on.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What are yellow like in bright daytime conditions?

Er...yellow.:confused: They're alright...they're obviously not as dark as [say] brown lens but they're still sunglasses. I rarely wear any other colour now but some of that might simply be that us "old boys" need more light to see anyway.

If you've never worn yellow lens why not blag a cheap pair of yellows just to see how you get on with them in various light conditions ? Airflo normally have some at 250000% off RRP.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try these mate,

Vision3k.com Home Page

Brilliant service, I buy my serengetis from these guys (best sunglasses in the world bar none...the Drivers are outstanding, just ask Chris Ogbourne and most members of the GB Fly fishing squad!) and I have also bought Oakley Sunnies and ski goggles from them.

Some folk thing Serengeti are over priced but believe me you do get what you pay for! :)

Oh, forgot to say Chris, Serengeti are photochromic and have proper glass lenses!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Drivewear. No mucking about with different sets of lens colours depending on light conditions and can be worn well into dusk without problems.

Reaction score
I bought mine from my optician. Just regular small, light fashion frames fitted with prescription polarised lenses. Great for driving and fishing.

Just ask the optician what they can offer in polarised prescription lenses.

You don't have to look like Bono.

aebitim

Reaction score
Start off by excluding as much light as possible from behind the glasses, Browns optitions do cover polerized glasses that go over normal glasses and have bino stile blackout bits that prevent light coming in sideways, about £17 from memory, one of those baseball caps on top and the jobs a goodun.

hunters moon

Reaction score
professor I use yellow and I have found it to be the most adaptable colour for
my fishing, very good in bright light conditions but simply excellent in low light
and in the winter months a joy . (I got mine from my optician).

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

chav professor

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice lads.... I'll take it all on board. I reckon I could get scared off by the price..... again....... I might trial a cheaper set of yellows first!

nicepix

Reaction score
I bought mine from my optician. Just regular small, light fashion frames fitted with prescription polarised lenses. Great for driving and fishing.

Just ask the optician what they can offer in polarised prescription lenses.

You don't have to look like Bono.

About 8 years ago I had my cornea punctured and that caused a lot of problems as far as my right eye was concerned. When driving at night I had a pronounced halo effect whenever the lights of oncoming traffic crossed my view. To counter it I used glasses with a brown lens on the right and normal driving yellow on the left. Occasionally I forgot to take them off when attending jobs and it did attract some comment :D

chav professor

Reaction score
About 8 years ago I had my cornea punctured and that caused a lot of problems as far as my right eye was concerned. When driving at night I had a pronounced halo effect whenever the lights of oncoming traffic crossed my view. To counter it I used glasses with a brown lens on the right and normal driving yellow on the left. Occasionally I forgot to take them off when attending jobs and it did attract some comment :D

How did you manage that? I punctured my eye with a shaft of fresh cut bamboo! Hedge cutter, safety goggles the works...... It was when I took the googles of to tidy up. Just bent over to grab a handful, and got up pretty smartish!!!

Had 2 further ops to remove bamboo. The outer stuff - there's a piece in my medical notes!

It was only that I was wearing glasses that deflected the shaft away from the important stuff... just made it into the egg white..lol

Terry D

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd pair of Optilabs now in nearly 10yrs use. My current pair I've had over 6yrs, with dark amber lenses and I use them all the time, especially driving and everyday use.
Agree with above comments on Serengeti Drivers - superb top notch glasses. Had some before I needed prescription lenses and would love a set.

nicepix

Reaction score
How did you manage that? I punctured my eye with a shaft of fresh cut bamboo! Hedge cutter, safety goggles the works...... It was when I took the googles of to tidy up. Just bent over to grab a handful, and got up pretty smartish!!!

Had 2 further ops to remove bamboo. The outer stuff - there's a piece in my medical notes!

It was only that I was wearing glasses that deflected the shaft away from the important stuff... just made it into the egg white..lol

Domestic incident. Husband had leathered his wife and needed to be arrested. He was at the top of a steep and narrow flight of stairs meaning that only one of us could tackle him, and that one was me.

During the melee he deliberately thumbed me in the eye causing a puncture to the cornea. This was aggravated by poor medical treatment that almost resulted in the permanent loss of vision in that eye. I had years of pain caused by recurrent corneal erosion and 8 years on I have just stopped having to use eye gel every four hours or so to keep it lubricated. Fingers crossed I haven't suffered the acute eye pain for around 6 months. But I'm in no doubt that it will re-occur as there is a clue in the name; recurrent corneal erosion :(

rubio

Reaction score
Buy cheap and plentiful is my motto. Mainly cos I leave so many pairs lying on the bank. Pop into a few of my swims over the summer you could have an assorted collection to try in no time.
I you really must spend big, as you like to usually, go with the Serengetis. There are other options for photochromic and polaroid but not many.