Stop NRW closing the Welsh hatcheries

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I know many of you, like me, are game and sea anglers as well as coarse anglers. May I ask for your support please? We need people to respond to the NRW bean-counter proposals to shut down hatcheries.
========

Copied from the River Wye Gillies Assoc. page:

YOUR RIVER NEEDS YOU.
Responses are needed regarding the NRW consultation to close down Welsh hatcheries and therefore prevent further stocking, including probably our SNR ponds

NRW are currently in consultation on this closure, they run the hatcheries and are desperate to save money, and they view this as an easy win. However, they are also highly political. As a result, they will not risk losing votes, if the response is large enough. To date, even with most owners responding that response only stands at circa 60 odd votes. To make a real difference, we need as many anglers as possible to go online, and register their disapproval. I appreciate we are all busy, but would it be possible, if you have not already done so, for you [or your gillies] to canvass your beat rods, or in the case of owner clubs your members, asking that they respond to this consultation. Once the hatcheries close, they will not be reopening, and the skills contained there will be lost forever to the river. Please go online now, and do your bit, we only have 27 more days!
The web link to the consultation and response form is:-
Natural Resources Wales / A consultation on NRW’s salmon stocking, third party salmon stocking and the future of NRW’s hatcheries.

Please respond to this before the end of MAY. Do not be the odd one out.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Assuming that everybody agrees with the re-stocking of rivers with hatchery reared fish. Think you will find there are at least as many people who disagree with this practice as there are in favour. Especially in the case of salmon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Assuming that everybody agrees with the re-stocking of rivers with hatchery reared fish. Think you will find there are at least as many people who disagree with this practice as there are in favour. Especially in the case of salmon.

Naturally. One has to follow one's instincts - and mine tell me this is more to do with saving money than preserving stocks

soft plastic

Reaction score
I agree with you and I think your instincts are correct Geoff. However, wether this is a "right" or "wrong" decision is definitely debatable. There have been numerous such operations shut down as the results simply don't justify the enormous costs. There are also the grounds for concern that the hatchery reared fish dilute the genes of the wild fish thereby hampering their survival. Fascinating subject and the cause of much debate between those who advocate the use of hatcheries and those who vehemently oppose them.

Last edited: