Bank Fishing

S

Shrek

When you are bank fishing, or wading out from the bank, do you use a line tray?

If you do, what do you use?

I've got an old washing up bowl with a strap threaded through it that serves a purpose, but am thinking of getting something else.

I've tried a Flexi-Stripper but didn't like them that much.

What do you use and how good do you find it.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Have used a line tray but found it too small and the line kept getting tangled which meant that you could not shoot the line.
I have just got a Scierra line tray which is larger and molds to your waist. Its made out of mesh and has a slopping bottom tray, no lips as such, haven't used it yet.
If fishing a big res and was wading using a floating line, I wouldn't use anything. The line tray is only useful if there are snags to catch the line.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Adrian ,you can tell how good line trays are, how many times have you seen anybody using one?.

A biggish nets ok on the bank just put it at your feet and let the line drop on that, same applies on a boat, line catches on everything it can, a big net stops it happening

Also when wading just let your line go in the water, bet you get strange looks walking round with a big bowl strapped to you/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

S

Shrek

I tend to fish intermediate lines whilst wading too, which doesn't work well when you come to shoot line and it's all sub-surface.

You'd be surprised how many anglers at Draycote use a line tray.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Sorry thought you were using a floating line, yes if your wading would cause problems an intermediate line.

S

Shrek

I find it causes problems if I don't use one when I'm wading and using a floating line too. There's often a good drift on the water and the line gets moved sideways, round my legs or out in front of me which again, causes problems on the cast.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Know the problem Adrian. Get the same when river fishing, line gets dragged of down stream. Never seen any river fly fishers using line trays though. I like Spiders idea of using landing net when in a boat.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

On most of the trout waters I fish, wading is not allowed. When I wade I used a line tray made by Steve Parton. When not wading I let the line lay on the ground.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
line%20tray.jpg

There you go! This is a proper line tray home made cost about £12.00.Remember to always, that's always, let the first couple of yards of line fall outside the line tray so when you lift your rod to recast you don't pull all the stored line out in one go.

S

Shrek

Colin,

Have you got any plans or instructions that you could sent me? This looks just the job.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Adrian, not Shrek, OK!!!! wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Colin, Have you got any plans or instructions that you could sent me? This looks just the job.</blockquote>

No plans, but can tell you how.

1. Get a plastic bowl/food box of a reasonable size and very carefully mark out and cut to the shape you want [similar to image shown].

2. Cut slots in the back to take the belt [bought from Screwfix].

3. If you have a lathe or can get someone to do it for you, turn down some hardwood doweling to the shape shown.

4. Drill a pilot hole in the bottom of each dowel and secure through the bottom of the plastic bowl/food box.

If you prefer and can get hold of them substitute the doweling for the plastic spouts from Silicon tubes. You will need to secure them by either glueing a wooden insert into the spout and then fix with screws or glue the spout in place.

Hope this is reasonably clear??

Colin

S

Shrek

It's as clear as a chalk stream should be!!!

Many thanks Colin, that's another winter project to be playing around with.

NT

Reaction score
Hi yes I use a cheap folding line tray bank fishing- stops you line getting tangled round weeds, rocks and stops it picking up grit and sand, which will wear you rod rings out! Though not ideal, its too smallandthe line is more likely to get tangled..

S

Shrek

Following on from Ron's post, I had a look at the Shakespeare Royalty Line Tray and, seeing as it was only ?12 from Mullarkeys, I got one.

It looks OK and should fit the purpose. Saying that, I don't know how well the loops sitting in the tray will perform, however I'm sure they could be modified somehow to be more effective.

I might get to try it at Draycote before the season ends and will report back then, but until such time, it's sitting in the cupboard.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Colin Brett wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>
line%20tray.jpg

There you go! This is a proper line tray home made cost about £12.00.Remember to always, that's always, let the first couple of yards of line fall outside the line tray so when you lift your rod to recast you don't pull all the stored line out in one go.

</blockquote>

Looks like I have had a malfunction with the photo??

I think I've deleted the Mark 2 line tray image from my website.

Mark 1 is now shown and it's OK but not a patch on the Mark 2 or the Mark 3 that I'm working on at present.

I'll try to get the Mark 2 back online.