None migratory salmon

guest61

Reaction score
Anyone been catching after EA stocking? various locations in uk few years back

unsure about license requirements, ie paying extra to fish for them with a migratory trout and salmon license when not migratory fish.

I get the odd one accidently but must admit have concerns about being collared for only having a course/trout license. Potential big fines etc

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pure put-'n'-take pay-for-play Zoo Fish that were tried by some stillwater fishery owners some years ago in an attempt to re-tickle the jaded palates of their rainbow-weary punters - a mere alternative to instant double-figure trout. The REAL non-migratory salmon of Maine, USA (plus those long naturalized in the Traful River of northern Patagonia, Argentina, a few of which I have caught), however, are quite another matter - fine, truly wild fish that can go ballistic.

David Dalton

Reaction score
Have you any experience of huchen Paul? I ask because in old fishing book of mine, it mentions that they were once introduced to the river Thames. In the book, huchen were referred to as non-migratory salmon. I had a look on Wikipedia, where they are classified as a relative of the salmon.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Huchen? Nope. Though I knew some Austrian anglers who fished for them. Large, certainly, but not particularly great fighters - reason why I turned down the offer of a summer scouting their cousins, taimen, in Mongolia in 1990. A British firm that had the "in" there (and much of northern Russia aside from the famous Kola Peninsula) after Soviet Russia fell apart in 1989 offered me helicopter, cook and a couple of local men and horses for three months....

Turned it down: did Goliath Tigerfish instead.

The Huchen introduced to the Thames: never seen again.

greenie62

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the fabled "precocious non-migratory salmon" from the 1980s.
These were supposed to be 'fertile' cock fish that hadn't migrated. I vaguely remember articles about them at the time - they would ghost up on the happy couple and introduce their contribution into the mix!
The theories at the time were that these little beggars would be:
- infertile since they hadn't gone through the migration-based maturing process,
- more fertile since they were in their prime and weren't knackered from swimming 1000s of miles in dodgy water,
- anti-fertile/contraceptive since their milt would actively prevent the potency of the migrated cock's milt.
The story disappeared before any of the 'issues' :confused: were resolved.
Does anyone remember what the outcomes of studies were? and what happened to these fish?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The precocious Atlantic salmon referred to above might be the ones that have been around for a long long time and which I witnessed getting up to no good on the Hants Avon in a couple of winters in the early 1970s: pre-smolting male salmon parr of no more than 4 or 5 inches getting in on the spawning act on the gravel redds, darting in past the big adult males stationed beside an ova-extruding ("hen") female, doing their milty little business and so fertilising her eggs. Cheeky monkeys.