Spod mixes

badgeroo

Reaction score
Hi all!
I am thinking about bringing spodding into my carping and have seen all the buy me dvd's on the subject so what advice or recipies are out there-I know there are different water conditions etc but it would be nice to have some mix ideas that are working for fellow members.
Any advice would be great
Thanks.:thumbs::wh

cg74

Reaction score
Are you looking for spod mixes to make a carpet of bait on the bottom or one that hangs in the upper levels?

badgeroo

Reaction score
Hi mate!
his would be my first attempt at spodding so any info would be great cheers!:thumbs::thumbs:

cg74

Reaction score
After years of spodding/spombing beds of mixed particles into lakes, last year I started to really question the efficacy of many of the inclusions.
In the main my spod mixes consisted of roughly 40% hemp, 40% pigeon conditioner, 20% mixed pellets and a can or two of tuna or salmon, though on lakes with a big head of bream, I'd reduce or totally omit the fishy ingredients.

My findings were; hemp is a must have, pellets are a great inclusion (bream allowing), fennel seeds seem to improve thing as did a bit of chilli.
Everything else appeared at best to make no difference. Leading to me now only feeding my chosen hookbait over hemp, my usual choices of hookbait being (in order of preference) boilies, maize, tiger nuts and pellets.
I know carp will readily take all manner of pulses, seeds etc - I just don't think their inclusion helps put more fish on the bank...

As for fishing up in the water, I literally saturate oily groundbaits with water, start off by making a really sloppy mix. Leave it for at least 30mins (overnight is best), then add more water to make sloppy again.
Then add coarsely liquidised sweetcorn, hemp, stale bread, soaked wheat and condensed milk, plus occaisionally molasses.
Sometimes I fish this with a zig rig, other times I fish with a small spod as float and a 2-3ft hooklength, the spod is held in place with 2 float stops beneath it and 1 above.
The latter technique is only really worthwhile using on heavily stocked waters.

badgeroo

Reaction score
That's great info will be out this weekend, thanks for the great info. Will let you know how I get on!:thumbs::thumbs:
Paul

terry m

Reaction score
Vitalin is a great base for a spod mix, and echo the point about hemp. Hemp has the ability to keep fish in the swim longer than just about anything else in my experience.