Littering anglers

james j

Reaction score
Todmorden.Its in Yorkshire not Lancashire.
Im sure this has been discussed before,but Im fed up with all those anglers who leave they rubbish on the bank when they pack up. I live next to the Rochdale canal and am constantly picking up all the crap others leave behind,sweetcorn & luncheon meat tins,empty caster bags,discarded great lengths of line,I even removed a broken fishing brolly.All this is along with the food packaging they always leave.Last week some kind angler even threw their trash into my garden,witnessed by my girlfriend,its a good job I wasn`t there or my taekwondo blackbelt would`ve been wrapped round their neck!

I know its a minority(I hope),but why can`t these selfish morons take their stuff home?

We are priviliged to have access to some lovely parts of the country,lets keep it that way. Anybody else feel the same as I do?

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
My local is abused regular, especially young lads night fishing. You can guarantee after a weekend theres scolded grass patches with rubbish surrounding. All it needs is a simple invention called a carrier bag, fill it with your sessions rubbish, then take it home or even put it in the bins provided.

This subject really gets my back up.

james j

Reaction score
Wobbly face,I own 2 dogs & when I pick their stuff up I end up picking others up aswell.In the 2 years Ive lived here Ive yet to catch somebody letting their mutts crap,when I do,they shall be told!

Couldn`t agree more Nick,bet they clean up at home.There again?

BarryC

Reaction score
Theres a note up at a local venue to say that an angler had left aq rod and reel behind and wanted it back.

If they can leave behind tackle what chance a sweetcorn tin?

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
My swim is my home wether im out for 24hrs or 120hrs I will always find myself walking around my swim scouting for lost line and rubbish always left by the previous residents at the swim as this will seem to be my rubbish when I leave the peg by other anglers or bailiffs as I dont leave rubbish around my house nor anyone else in it too. Plus on the windy days it may even be blown in to the water but hey this still never bothers the litteres until it effects the lake i.e polluting, objects harming the fish plus the wildlife that resides around them too but this doesnt seem to bother. Obviously canals and rivers arent patrolled by the bailiffs or owner as the lakes, so its a different story but its a real shame to see. Leave it the way you found it or pick it up, how hard can it really be, WELL it seems to be for some. Where British best at everything or perhaps not it seems.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Barry I would add to the anglers plea for his rod he left behind "look at this a learning curve TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME" and leave it as you found it.

jasper or big man

Reaction score
its not just the riverbank they also do the same on the beach along with fish heads and guts and line hooks beer cans turds and all sorts of unimaginable rubbish and no licence either

jasper or big man

Reaction score
and by the way the good ones fill a carrier bag tie it up and leave on the beach twenty from a rubbish bin they have to pass to leave the beach in hythe nice one boys dont moan when were banned from beaches round the coast

alan

Reaction score
and no licence either

and what the hell does that have to do with beaches and litter?

B

Bill Cox

So does that mean because i buy a rod license that i am less at fault if i litter my swim? then a sea angler littering the beach? Simple solution to litter louts is to bury the bastards along with their rubbish.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>james j wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I know its a minority(I hope),but why can`t these selfish morons take their stuff home?

We are priviliged to have access to some lovely parts of the country,lets keep it that way. Anybody else feel the same as I do?
</blockquote>

I'm no longer sure about it being a minority. The whole country is looking increasingly tatty and the dropping of litter is as much a national trait as binge drinking (from a man who enjoysa pint).<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote></blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Bill Cox wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Simple solution to litter louts is to bury the bastards along with their rubbish.</blockquote>

If only....!

Dave

james j

Reaction score
Agree with you on that Dave. What gets me is the fact people go to the effort to get out for a days fishingin beautiful scenery then spoil it all by leaving their crap behind,these people should just stay at homeif they can`t be arsed to tidy up after themselves.

Bill. Hear,hear

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Where i fish is a very open park where the water can be upto 50 yards from the path at times, this inturn attracts alot of summer folk who like to picnic out.

Now im not suggesting that they are solely at fault but i have witnessed small fires, BBQ's and all manner of things that you wouldnt normally expect to see.

Theres also an aweful lot of dog walkers that go round the reservoir hourly.

I can only imagine how that may make some people anti-angling as they stop to pick up endless bags/tins/anything...

Littering is a problem at the waters edge by alot of people, not least the sunbathers who bring a 6 pack of cheap lager then leave it strewn all over the grass afterwards.

I think (just my opinion) that most of the trash that we encounter at the waters edge is not left there by anglers at all, the obvious exceptions may be an empty can of luncheon meat 3 miles down the severn from Bewdly but for the most part i think (or at least hope) that anglers are far more respectful.

Andy M

Reaction score
One thing all of us with young children can do, is not only to introduce them to our wonderful sport but to bring them up to understand the importance of clearing up after you on the bank. Not only because of the aesthetics but the potential danger to wildlife which I find they are particularly sensitive to.

I am proud to say my 8 year old is always suitably disgusted and picks up the rubbish left by previous anglers we find quite ofter when when we go fishing.

And this is in normally very litter conscious Denmark where the number of coarse anglers if quite low. So I shudder to think what you guys must have to suffer!

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Andy, it's the time people have over here to introduce youngsters to the sport. We don't get much time to go fishing ourselves. Just as we had to, youngsters have to sort themselves out. I was lucky growing up, I had responsible friends who looked after the local water.

I think our society suffers all round from the long working hours we have. The youth own the outdoors in general because they have more time to use it. When they see an adult on the streets or walking in the park they seem to think we are tresspassing on their property. If the government introduced better workinghours we could take backthe streets from the youngsters and maybehave time to teach themabout what we have and why we must not abuse it.

M

mark norris (ACA)

In my area it does appear to be a generation thing, with mid to late teens being the worst offenders.

Trouble is that I doubt they will outgrow itand will pass on to their children a similar attitude

jasper or big man

Reaction score
the reason i mentioned a licence is because not so long ago there was uproar at sea fisherman having to have one to fish the same as coarse fishing which might mean more control overall but it didnt happen but it might have provided funds to clean up the mess as well as improving fishing

alan

Reaction score
Jasper, totaly seperate issues, and how will having a licence stop litter? i cant see anyone walking the beaches checking licences let alone collecting litter.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>alan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>i cant see anyone walking the beaches checking licences let alone collecting litter.</blockquote>
I'd do it. Walking down the beaches for a living, talking to fishermen.