RED i

Will Smith

Reaction score
While walking past the magazine section in morrisons today i noticed that there was a free gift of red line on the angling times. A couple of these spools had fell off so to prevent anyone tripping over them and making a claim for damages against morrisons i picked them up and put them in a safe place where they could do no harm. Is it any good ?

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I picked up my copy of the AT today and also found a spool of said line taped to the front cover. Having read through the rag I found no reference to the line at all! Must be rubbish if they don't have a good word to say for it inside.

Well done on your thoughfulness for the danger to Morrisons patrons and the saving of millions in legal costs /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
Will my boy, most likley the people that bought AT didnt want it and undid the tape and discarded the line,

Sat near a bloke on the Ribble two weeks ago, he was using red line, he didnt catch anything, but as a matter of fact neither did I./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Will Smith

Reaction score
I,m having a couple of hours on the ribble in the morning to see if my new red line scares the chub. I,ll be taking bread and cheese. I can,t make up my mind what to take for the chub though./forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Is this Redi stuff just an 'Emperor's New Clothes' jobby or what?

I just bought the AT. Stuck the red line in a bowl of water and it stands out like a sore thumb!

Am I missing the 'science bit'? - quite easy to do as they don't print a science bit.

Did I read somewhere that the fish can't see red?

If so that blows away red baits, which they seem to like alot.

MJ

Reaction score
It makes me laugh. Fish apparently cant see red, ok fair enough. But that doesnt make the line invisible! It just means that the fish will be seeing some other colour instead of red. Maybe they see it is a black, or grey, or bright blue!

It could set off a new fashion - carp anglers all sat on the bank in matching red jumpsuits like something out of Baywatch!

Think I'll be sticking to flourocarbon

NIGE K

Reaction score
i think it has to be in a certain depth of water to refract the light which is when the fish are not supposed to see thered. but i do think it would just change to a different colour under water possible black.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Got mine too. If my memory serves, didn't Matt Hayes promote the red line being sold via his Total Fishing Gear label?

I seem to remember talk thatred disappears first from the spectrum once under water but I can't reconcile that with why red pellets, red luncheon meat or even my home made red boilies on occasions outfish other colours - presumably because they stand out. Is line supposed to stand out? If so, I've got it horribly wrong. I suppose red line could reduce the number of line bites as the fish disappear to the other end of the lake as soon as you cast in!!!!

I honestly can't think of an application for this stuff. Haven't we just sent a probe to discover life on Mars - the Red Planet?Best they discover a nice red chalkstream with a red gravel bottom full of redMartian chub. We could then all send our red line to NASA. Sorted.

Nathan

Reaction score
I thought about the red line and one thing i considered was that if red was indeed the first colour to disappear under water then could it be that red baits aren't really seen & the fish are just picking up on the food signal?

It doesn't make any sense to me but then again i'm not a fish.

If red really does disappear as we've been told then how/why do red lures seem to do so well?

Reaction score
Looks like Matt Hayes is trying a spot of rebranding to try to shift the stuff.

I'll be using mine... but only for stop knots/ marker knots.

There's been a lot of debate on FM before about red line, see HERE

The general consensus if I remember rightly is that it might work, not because it is invisible (it isn't), but because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Will Smith wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

While walking past the magazine section in morrisons today i noticed that there was a free gift of red line on the angling times. A couple of these spools had fell off so to prevent anyone tripping over them and making a claim for damages against morrisons i picked them up and put them in a safe place where they could do no harm. Is it any good ?</blockquote>

so you nicked them then !!

its not worth the hassle for a few spools of line, and its crap line at that, i had a length of it in a glass of water on my desk for the past two days and i can still see it.

Doesnt Matt Hayes advocate the use of red line ?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I was rather dissapointed that it was the thinner high tec stuff instead of normal thickness type mono.I was hoping totest some out on my forthcoming chub campaign.

Apart from hooklength material,fished "layed on the bottom"or as a main line for waggler fishing,i can`t see it beingany real use for myself.If it floats,then it may be ok loaded onto a pin reel??? it`s thin diameter mightease the problem of bedding in???

The late John Ledger advocated the use of high tec type lines for float fishing to me as a main line.He told me he brought it in bulk spools..."twice the strength but half the thickness" he said.

Ihave been watching a carp fishing dvd reccently where i have noticed anglers using a multitude of different coloured lines and probably braids as well......they have caught plenty of fish.

Is it all just another gimmick,designed to catch the angler rather than the fish???

I wont be buying any,i`ll stick with what i already have.

captain carrott

Reaction score
we had a discussion on the realtive transmittance of differing frequencies of light through water on here a couple of years back. it went on for pages and pages untill i'd managed to explain to (steve ithink) what the theory behind it was and why it was hogwash. if anyone would care to do a search for it.