The Future???

chav professor

Reaction score
That great ecologist, Dany Fairbrass. Not exactly a fan of biodiversity is he!

This mad project is very retrograde.... But it will ensure there are plenty of mud pigs to fill up with Munga without the worry that its wasted on bream or roach.

Got to work WITH nature.... Dany's vision for the future has more in common with canned hunting than what I visualize carp fishing to be..

nicepix

Reaction score
That great ecologist, Dany Fairbrass. Not exactly a fan of biodiversity is he!

This mad project is very retrograde.... But it will ensure there are plenty of mud pigs to fill up with Munga without the worry that its wasted on bream or roach.

Got to work WITH nature.... Dany's vision for the future has more in common with canned hunting than what I visualize carp fishing to be..

Got to agree Chav. How long before all capr anglers have underwater cameras to let them know when fish, sorry carp, are in the swim?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmm. Homelands for Carp and all those who fish for them. As I said in an email to an FM member who sent me a link to the above film yesterday: "Such is a certain sort of modern Angling - all kit and mouth and camo trousers.".

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have every sympathy with those that despair with the desire for carp, carp and nothing but carp. A guy that runs (big) carp day ticket waters and a syndicate or two in my neck of the woods also had some sympathy. So much so, when he acquired a couple of waters in very close proximity, he decided to leave one as a mixed fishery that is predominantly a tench water. Everybody said it was a great idea, most bemoan the loss of decent tench waters. It has some decent sized fish for the area, and plenty of them. Sadly, despite that, it's barely getting fished. Even if he was charging the going rate as a carp water, he'd still be getting a fraction of the income he would if he chucks a rake of carp in there.

brickie

Reaction score
I have every sympathy with those that despair with the desire for carp, carp and nothing but carp. A guy that runs (big) carp day ticket waters and a syndicate or two in my neck of the woods also had some sympathy. So much so, when he acquired a couple of waters in very close proximity, he decided to leave one as a mixed fishery that is predominantly a tench water. Everybody said it was a great idea, most bemoan the loss of decent tench waters. It has some decent sized fish for the area, and plenty of them. Sadly, despite that, it's barely getting fished. Even if he was charging the going rate as a carp water, he'd still be getting a fraction of the income he would if he chucks a rake of carp in there.

that's the way its going artificial fishing id rather fish for tench anyday, I grew up fishing rivers for trout but now their not worth fishing around here, so trout lakes sprung up years ago its the same with carp, i used to eat the wild trout I caught but I have never eaten a farmed trout, I really miss natural river fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
that's the way its going artificial fishing id rather fish for tench anyday, I grew up fishing rivers for trout but now their not worth fishing around here, so trout lakes sprung up years ago its the same with carp, i used to eat the wild trout I caught but I have never eaten a farmed trout, I really miss natural river fishing.

There's no shortage of natural trout, and grayling, fishing round here. Tench fishing is rather thin though. I really can't fathom why the particular water I'm talking about isn't regularly full of paying anglers. The carp water next to it, and others in the vacinity, are usually booked solid, even in the depths of winter. The sad fact is that it'll probably end up as a carp water. If the tench are left in, they'll just be outcompeted by the carp. Yet another tench water lost, but, in this case, the local anglers will only have themselves to blame.

B

binka

I too quite admire the fella for having the vision and the will to finance it if, as he says, it’s done on waters that are “lying fallow”, I won’t use them personally but can’t see what harm it’s doing anyone else if that’s the basis of the project.

Better protection from predation, stock ponds to reduce the high mortality rate of newly hatched fish and newly accessible waters… sounds ok to me.

I’m not sure why, on the third point, he wants carp angling to be represented individually on a government level when there’s already a body which encompasses it doing just that and judging by the opposition to the existing body I reckon he faces a big uphill struggle on that one but the best of luck to him for trying.

I can also only imagine that any "nuisance fish" would logically be removed and sold to other clubs... another win/win.

The more I think about it the more I think it’s a great idea if done on waters which are currently unused (and that's the key), I’m not a carp angler as such and it might at least keep a few of ‘em off the waters I’m fishing ;)

terry m

Reaction score
Interesting concept.

DB's blinkered view however, does not fit with mine.

The points about a 'Carp' voice at government level are frankly laughable, Methinks that DB has been nibbling the birdseed boilies!

And despite his pleading to the contrary this, in my opinion is a commercial venture. His dismissal of nuisance fish (native fish) is astonishing.

However, the scheme may well have legs. The waiting lists for sydicates are the best barometer for this sort of initiative, many on this forum may not like it, but carp angling is the biggest part of our pastime by some distance.

Maybe Fairbrass sees himself as the emerging Bernie Ecclestone of angling?

beerweasel

Reaction score
I hate the use of the word "fallow", surely even if a lake is not fished then it's a nature reserve ?
The thought of every stillwater being a carp lake is horrific.
Imagine if every restaurant was a Taco Bell.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shades of the new tyranny that (and the new tyrants who) followed the French And Russian Revolutions, of Orwell's "Animal Farm", of some animals being more equal than others. People going to war over mere ruddy fish - carp, mahseer, barbel... I have long given all such warriors not a minute of my time, just a silent, internal "No thank you very much" and an exit through the nearest door, then find fishing and fishers rather more to my taste. Great pity that we let this Emperor's New Clothes - NewSpeak tyranny to continue for so long, fellas - it's fairly boogered up Angling over the past twenty or so years.

Last edited:

sheps31

Reaction score
In a way I have modern carp fishing a lot to thank for. After about a 17 year break from fishing I got back into carp fishing about 7 years ago, which I really enjoyed. I ended up joined a couple of clubs and then discovered the people bivvied up behind bivvies waiting to get in a swim which really wasn't for me

I am now targeting perch and pike although I would like a nice tench and rudd too, so inadvertently the above scenario has broadened my fishing horizons :cool:

I do still like fishing for carp but this is now mainly done with a single rod, sling unhooking mat to carry stuff and sit on and a landing net

robtherake

Reaction score

That's a shame, Sam. I'd plump for the tench pool every time, especially considering it's not crowded. Thornaby club raped my favourite tench pond - it's now a featureless oval, apart from a fish refuge/cage to provide cover now the weed beds have been ripped out. I almost wept after seeing what had been done to the place.

Don't the carp guys get fed up of seeing the same old species? I suppose fly anglers don't tire of seeing spotties, though, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.