Personal Integrity

Reaction score
If you had publicly stated that you were against X, but you were sponsored by an organisation that openly supported X then do you think it is reasonable for people to question your personal integrity?

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
If you had publicly stated that you were against X, but you were sponsored by an organisation that openly supported X then do you think it is reasonable for people to question your personal integrity?

Mr C_C,
Spot on, say one had spent years fighting to stop lets say a species of fish being placed in unsuitable waters. Would one have lost all integrity if one accepted sponsorship from a company that both endorsed and supported other companies that place said species in unsuitable waters?

I will be so bold as to say yes, and further more I would say that such a person is a scoundrel (would use stronger terms) to boot and a traitor to said species and anyone who had supported said person trying to protect said species.

I would readily see said person tarred and feathered and drummed out of town, but of course this is all hypothetical no one would do that would they?

Regards
Ray

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score

I think it is reasonable for people to question your integrity under those circumstances.

But if I have read this correctly, you are saying that the sponsored person is not actually endorsing the sponsors product. So depending on further details there may be a case to say that the fact that you are not being automatically 'bought' by the sponsor, that in fact your integrity is sound.

daji

Reaction score
Anyone care to be a little more specific? I'm lost as to what or who you're referring to :confused:

you could perhaps post a non related link

thecrow

Reaction score
To straight forward a question, how long ago did the person hold views against x? why did he hold those views? has he been persuaded to change his views about x? who by and why? did he change his views before sponsorship? is this a rhetorical question?

All to easy to criticise without knowing the full facts.

Keith Speer

Reaction score
Such is the responsibility if one takes on a sponsorship deal.

For some reason I am often asked about products like float rods and centre pins,

I answer honestly and sometimes recommend several different companies and to be fair I use products from several differing manufacturers, lets face it company X might make cracking tip rods but their float rods and carp rods are pants, so you go to Y for float rods and Z for carp rods, no one manufacturer is good at everything.

For a while I had a very loose association with a Centre pin manufacturer, they promised much but came up with very little, half hearted marketing is worse than no marketing at all, so it all sort of petered out, however I still recommend their pins, as in my opinion, they are the best when you take into account cost and performance, that is my honest opinion and until I come across something better that opinion will not change.

That opinion will not change if I get an offer of a lifetime either!!

Which is probably why I have never been offered a sponsorship deal and that is probably why I would have to refuse it if I did.
From what I have seen, marketing fishing tackle and honesty are probably mutually divergent!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I think its only fishing but why not be straight and just name the person ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
For an awful lot of people, personal integrity often has to go by the wayside when cash is involved. The person that's never had to do something that they disagreed with, or even objected to, is a very lucky one.

nicepix

Reaction score
Integrity is in short supply these days. Take that Newcastle player who made a fuss about the club being sponsored by Wonga and it affecting his religious beliefs and it turns out he's a serial gambler. And the Reverend boss of the Co-op Bank, 'The Ethical Bank', who was discovered to be snorting drugs and paying for rent boys. If we were allowed to mention politics then I could give loads of examples of our elected leaders saying one thing and doing the opposite.

paul1234

Reaction score
Surely any normal person if knowing that the sponsor had a massively different view towards something ,would choose not to be sponsored by the sponsor??!!??
Although maybe the person being sponsored at the time was unaware of the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Speaking generally with nobody in mind: Why is it that, if someone disagrees with a particular point of view on one subject, yet agrees on a different one, thier integrity is called into question? I fail to see a problem.

terry m

Reaction score
For an awful lot of people, personal integrity often has to go by the wayside when cash is involved. The person that's never had to do something that they disagreed with, or even objected to, is a very lucky one.

If a value or belief goes by the wayside because of cash, then I do not think that it was integrity in the first place.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If a value or belief goes by the wayside because of cash, then I do not think that it was integrity in the first place.

I have to say that I was talking in general, not about angling. Show me someone that hasn't had to do something, in their working lives, that they have objected to, and they'll be very, very, lucky individuals. The bottom line is that you can't eat your integrity and ideals.

Reaction score
But what if a person has publicly made their views known on an issue that they are totally against for more than a decade, yet at they same time they accept sponsorship in that same period for more than a decade from a company that supports the issue?

Is it fair and understandable for that person to expect their personal integrity to be called into question and to be criticised by others?

Is it fair to question their integrity?

terry m

Reaction score
I have to say that I was talking in general, not about angling. Show me someone that hasn't had to do something, in their working lives, that they have objected to, and they'll be very, very, lucky individuals. The bottom line is that you can't eat your integrity and ideals.

I am not sure that I agree. We all do things that we object to, that is life, it is not perfect. But to comply or go along with something that you fundamentally disagree with because of deep seated or perhaps ethical reasons, would of course be a breach/compromise of your integrity.

I do not think that most people would take that lightly.