Rods

chris k

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the H Gun Nash dwarf rods, and if so are they any good? I'm looking at using them for stalking.

sam vimes

Reaction score
One of the lads in my not so local fishing warehouse type place saw me looking at stalking rods. Unfortunately for him I wasn't looking to buy, just giving them a good coat of looking at. However, he did persuade me to have a good waggle anyway and then put a real bend in a couple of rods, but without looking at the make, model or price. I was pretty impressed by them and it was revealed afterwards that they were Nash Dwarfs. At the £40-50 that most places are knocking the older, lighter models out for, I don't think you'll go too far wrong, provided you can manage with a 9 or 10' rod. The way the butt telescopes makes them nice short to transport too.

Nash Dwarf Carp Rods

Nash H-Gun Dwarf Rod Travel | BobCo Fishing Tackle, Leeds

chris k

Reaction score
Yeah I fish a moat, so in most places it's only as wide as a canal so no distance casting. Plus alot of the swims are real jungle warfare types. So a 9ft would be perfect. Just not sure what tc to get, a 2.75lb tc or 3lb tc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you aren't chucking great distances, or monster PVA bags, the lighter will be fine, especially if it's cheaper or the only one in stock. However, don't be too put off by the ratings, both bend right through to the butt. Neither the 2.75 or 3lb I tried were pokers.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Cheers Sam, don't suppose you know what reel would suit this rod?

I can't say that I've ever seen one with a reel fitted. I suspect that much will come down to preference. My own view would be anything approaching "big pit" territory would look ridiculous. However, I suspect that a standard Baitrunner in 4/5000 size might look a bit small.

markhib

Reaction score
One of the lads in my not so local fishing warehouse type place saw me looking at stalking rods. Unfortunately for him I wasn't looking to buy, just giving them a good coat of looking at. However, he did persuade me to have a good waggle anyway and then put a real bend in a couple of rods, but without looking at the make, model or price. I was pretty impressed by them and it was revealed afterwards that they were Nash Dwarfs. At the £40-50 that most places are knocking the older, lighter models out for, I don't think you'll go too far wrong, provided you can manage with a 9 or 10' rod. The way the butt telescopes makes them nice short to transport too.

Nash Dwarf Carp Rods

Nash H-Gun Dwarf Rod Travel | BobCo Fishing Tackle, Leeds

Chris, when you were looking at the dwarf rods, you didn't by any chance try the scope rods as well did you?
Specifically I'm thinking of the much reduced mk1.
Thanks either way, Mark

sam vimes

Reaction score
Chris, when you were looking at the dwarf rods, you didn't by any chance try the scope rods as well did you?
Specifically I'm thinking of the much reduced mk1.
Thanks either way, Mark

I did as it happens. I don't think that they were worth the price differential at full price, and it's a close call at the reduced price. However, the Scopes look better, are better finished and have better fittings. For me, short rods would only be for occasional use so I'd save cash and get the Dwarfs. If they were going to be my main rods, I'd probably pay the extra for the Scopes, especially at the reduced prices.

zebra3

Reaction score
I was looking for a pair of shorter carps rods a couple of months back and after trawling through forums etc for feedback splashed the cash on a pair of scope 10' 3lb as they would be my main rods. I only fish the local canal and a small pit for carp so wanted something easy to carry on a walk to the swim. So far so good. Lovely action and as Sam says they bend nicely. Had a couple of twenties out of the weed with no hook pulls. Couldn't run to new reels though so using the old faithful 5000 GTE B s and they match lovely. Only gripe is the dedicated skin that is really tight even in the big pit version.:)

chris k

Reaction score
Just seen the Nash Scope Sawn off 6ft stalking rods....very confused as to what to get now lol