Vitalin

Mr Raffles

Reaction score
Hi ya, Just a quickie, how do i use Vitalin, was a seed merchants today getting pellets saw this Vitalin.

Have seen it mentioned before.

But how do you use it.

Cheers

Mike

W

Wolfman Woody

As it comes with a bit of water (could be warm water) added.

OR

Grind it in a food processor until it's fine and mix it like normal groundbait.

Add anything you like - if you want. Oils, pellets, breadcrumbs, flavours .......

The possibilities are endless ................................................................................

NIGE K

Reaction score
yes you can use it as a method mix put some in a bucket pour boiling water on til it just covers it pop the lid onleave it overnight perfect method mix add any flavours when you add the water.

mark hibbitt

Reaction score
hi mr raffles

use vitalin as suggested by nige k, but add some hemp, and 2 tins of tuna.

u might find that it is also wise to add some dark food dye to colour the mix,as vitalin is very light, and possible to spook fish in clear water.

F

Frothey

the thing to remember as we head into winter is vitalin contains a lot of food, so its easy to overfeed it. cracking in the summer though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Frothey has got it absolutely right!

Vitalin, and similar products, contain little in the way of attractive ingredients being mostly total food.

The major difference between cheap products like Vitalin and continental mixes is the continental mixes are mainly attractives and not food.

In the cold months you need to 'attract' and not 'feed'

nicky

Reaction score
Vitalin is awesome and thats speaking from experience used it almost every week for the last three years, good for tench carp and bream.

This year i have noticedmy catch rate has increased and caught larger fish when i mix a few tin of sardines with it. (also hemp, casters and pellets what ever i have knocking around really)

Just mix in sardines add a bit off water from the lake and mix and work it untill it reaches the right consistency, i dont even use a method feeder but rather mould it straight round a 2 ounce inline lead as i think frothey suggested in his method article a while ago as i think this gives a better presentation.

Sometimes throughout the day it may turn a bit dry if this happens just carefully add a bit more water or sardines to rectify this.

Molasses works well also

Andyw

Reaction score
a pet supplier locally is asking £11.55 for 15kg ... got to be worthwhile!! Especially if you are on a tight budget or a pre baiting campaign?

I'm off to get a sack... How long does this stuff last when opened?

steven upton

Reaction score
get goat food at just under a tenner a sack contains csl pellets, hemp at around 13 for 15kg and maize at 8 for 20kg ,you could also consider cod liver oil at 13 for 4 litres , mollasces 8 for 4 litres,add dog mixer at 11 for 15 kg and you've got a lot of all the year round bait for 75 quid, oh by the way it must be vitalin original

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Good point Andyw,j ust how long does an open sack last anyway??

F

Frothey

depends on how its stored - keep it in air tight buckets it lasts ages. just think how long its been sitting in the sack, which is hardly airtight after all....

Andyw

Reaction score
i've got a large plastic bin witha lid so should be ok to keep it in there...

Do you think its worth using this time of year? I guess its a high feed thing.... Should i be cutting back or going for it as the fish are bulking up for winter?

F

Frothey

carry on with it, i'd just cut it with something "light" once it really cools down mid nov/december time.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>15kg? a weekend?</blockquote>
Forming islands on a featureless water again Frothey.

F

Frothey

scatter 15kg of it on the garage floor - i bet it wont look that impressive.

Andyw

Reaction score
Yeah and then the mice will move in a devour all my kit!!!

Lost a tent n net to the lil blighters last year!!!