Bank holiday. How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Open match on the GUC Tring today. A tale of two sections.
My section of 9 was won with 3 skimmers for about 3lb. I was second with 1lb of Gudgeon, perch and ruffes.
The other section was won with 51lb of bream, 2 carp and bits.
Follow up weights of 40lb and 30lb.. Fantastic weights for a day ticket stretch...
19 fished...

How did you get on?

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Under normal circumstances I don't fish holiday weekends as I have plenty of time to fish at quieter times, BUT it's no good, I just HAVE to go tomorrow - regardless!

I've finished all my house jobs, cut hedges etc etc so I'm free all day and ready to go!!

Not too bothered around catches, I just need to be by the water again....

Watch this space - or not.....

john step

Reaction score
Under normal circumstances I don't fish holiday weekends as I have plenty of time to fish at quieter times, BUT it's no good, I just HAVE to go tomorrow - regardless!

I've finished all my house jobs, cut hedges etc etc so I'm free all day and ready to go!!

Not too bothered around catches, I just need to be by the water again....

Watch this space - or not.....

Same for me. I have had 2 days gathering brownie points in the garden and tomorrow I will be off tenching at our 10 member fishery and do you know what..It will be as quiet and uncrowded as any othe day.:)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I continue to try to explore the world of wye salmon fishing. Spent the afternoon on a deserted river throwing lures. It's fascinating. Just like coarse fishing... but nobody catches anything ;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
John Step.............Do they have tench that far north? (add a smilie here..)

Geoff Maynard.............Perhaps you were expecting a barbel to take a lure by mistake - bit of a long shot, that!!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Perhaps you were expecting a barbel to take a lure by mistake - bit of a long shot, that!!

:) No. But I did have a 10lb pike grab at it, which was strange in fast streamy water. And a barbel DID take a salmon fly for a guy downsteam of me a week ago!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well I went, and I wonder why I bothered... The water was covered in pollen from the surrounding trees so apart from an hour of relatively clear water when a decent cast could be made I spent much of the time trying to remove the stuff from my line and rod rings, A total disaster!!
One silly 4lb carp managed to swim into my bait but perhaps I should've appreciated it a little more as it turned out to be my only fish...(also the only bite!). Needless to say I shall fish elsewhere for the foreseeable.

Anyway, it was a nice cool, sunny morning and just about better than laying in a nice warm bed....

Roll on tomorrow!!

john step

Reaction score
John Step.............Do they have tench that far north? (add a smilie here..)

Geoff Maynard.............Perhaps you were expecting a barbel to take a lure by mistake - bit of a long shot, that!!

Yes plenty of tench although not as big as down south. Not a whippet in site!. Plenty of space and big skies. I used to hail from Hertfordshire near you. Should have moved up here years before I did. Club tickets a fraction of the southern price. I met a couple of anglers from my old Verulam Club on the Trent after the barbel as they were fed up with crowding and scramble for the best barbel swims on the Lea.:)

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Just went to my local yesterday (chores today / Saturday :(). Fished the middle pond on the waggler as ever, starting on caster which brought a steady stream of Roach to about 1/2 lb. Loose feeding casters over the top had the water fizzing away nicely. However, too many tiddlers brought a switch to corn, which slowed the take rate right down, but the bait did actually make it to the bottom! Had a few Carp to about 4lb & some more Roach & Skimmers, plus a couple of screaming runs which snapped me off - a bit disconcerting as the Carp in middle pond only go to about 8lb & I was on a 5lb hook length :eek: Unusually for this venue, things tailed off as the light started to fade so I called it a day. Don't think I'll get out again now before we go on our hols, but you never know...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've tagged this report onto the BH 'how did you get on'...It's only a few hours late!

Rain should've 'passed over' this morning but not so...I went at 6am and caught a nice little downpour for 30 mins or so, before I caught any fish, as I was setting up which I hate.
I fished a little Farm Pond with very light tackle and from the off it was almost a fish a cast much of the time, with roach, crucians and the odd 3lb carp to give me the run around.
Best baits, flake, crust and corn with the odd fish on chickpea and wheat. I probably missed twenty or so 'dead cert' bites and lost another ten but all in all it was a very nice mornings fishing with nothing but bird song for company.
Nothing big, but such was the intensity of bites that I almost felt like a matchman again, so much so that I had to enforce a stop at one point just to have a cup of tea !! (Those were the days eh?..............)

Gerry.....In case you read this; Just as I was leaving around 1pm I found a van parked by the inner gate with two chaps about to carry/drag a huge plastic bucket loaded to the gunnels with fish destined for the 'island' pond. They showed me some of the contents, primarly roach and mostly small with some 12" bream.....Also some going into the 'carp' pond as well?
No idea how many bucket loads would be going in though......

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes Tony, Mick told me he was putting some more fish in to compensate for the fish kill to the farm pond last year – I believe he said ‘ I’d better get some more fish in there soon or that moaning spuds supporter that gets there in the middle of the night will be giving me grief’ or words to that effect..............;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Meant to say Gerry that he had a cubic metre (or bigger!) fish carrier in the back of his van simply stuffed with roach but perhaps they were for his pond in his back garden !!

I hope I get to meet him in a pub one of these times to buy him a beer for the effort he was putting in to move those fish. Some people go the extra mile for the sport and the club.........................a good man!

danielecerullo

Reaction score
Had a trek over to the local lakes on Monday morning, got there quite late around 1030 after having to pop over to the tackle shop for a few bits. Anyway got bank side set up relitivly quickly and decided to only fish the one rod on the method feeder with krill pellets as hookbait (which I now swear by) despite usually setting up the float rod for a bit of action in between bites, first cast first fish a nice 3/4 lb common from the on a fish every other cast with a pb bream coming out at 8.9lbs absolute chunk! Water went quiet for around a couple of hours with no one else catching. Decided to cast in a different part of the lake hit into an 10lb carp that had me running to catch my rod after just going to eat my sandwich another second and the rod would of been in the water, Han another couple of bream carp and a sorry looking crucian that looked like a perch or something had, had a right go at it. At the end of the day finished with just under 50lbs of fish and a really good days fishing.