Sonik ? Great Promise from New Tackle Company

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I looked at the fly rods at Chatsworth country fair the other weekend. Half price special for Chatsworth.

I had a test of the rod along with a Hardy and a greys of the same spec. The Sonic was thicker in diameter of the blank than the other two. Aftewr first initial testing I put the Sonic down. It was a good rod and looked the part, but that was all. I chosed the Greys over the Hardy after further testing as it felt better. the Sonic was the SK4, the Hardy was the Demon and the Greys the Streamflex.

It will be interesting to see how Graham gets on with it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Has Graham got a Sonik?

A couple of my friends who are regulars at Thrybergh will be interested in this rod. I hear they are £200 rods selling at £60.00.

As far as top fly rods go at the moment, I believe the Greys G Tec series is without peer and poses a severe threat to Sage, Loomis and even rods from their own stable - Hardy!

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I have the 3 weight SK4 and it is absloutly brilliant both fast and accurate it's not a rod for a beginner but a joyful tool for dry fly work on our northern rivers

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Wobbly Face (As Per Ed) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

I had a test of the rod along with a Hardy and a greys of the same spec. The Sonic was thicker in diameter of the blank than the other two. Aftewr first initial testing I put the Sonic down. It was a good rod and looked the part, but that was all. I chosed the Greys over the Hardy after further testing as it felt better. the Sonic was the SK4, the Hardy was the Demon and the Greys the Streamflex.</blockquote>

Hardly a fair comparison Wobbly. Lets look at the three rods you mention, all the same spec and all prices quoted are RRP for fairness:

Hardy Demon 9' #5 £229.00

Greys Streamflex 9' #5 £189.99

Sonik SK4 9' #5 £104.99

If price wasn't a factor in the testing why not pick up a Sage or a Loomis?

W

Wolfman Woody

"There is also the Sonik Reward Club. After your first purchase you received a unique Reward Club number. Each time you make a future SONIK purchase or if you recommend another person to do the same, you will earn reward points. These can be redeemed against future Sonik purchases or other exclusive offers."

Finally ...... at last ........ I was shouting this method of marketing over 12 years ago.

I don't know why more dealers don't do it rather than heavy discounting.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>"I hear they are £200 rods selling at £60.00" If that is correct then it says more than mere words could ever express. </blockquote>
There are plenty selling £60 rods for £200 Peter......and plenty who believe the crap /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Hi Graham.
I was lead to believe that the Sonik was ?200, but on offer at half price.
So should have been on a par with the other two.
This actually makes the streamflex the cheapest.
At ?60 they are a bargain.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Here are the facts:

Advert in "Trout Fisherman"

SK 3 8' #3/4 £64.99

SK38'-6" #4/5 £64.99

SK 3 9' #5/6 £69.99

SK 3 9'6" #7/8 £74.99

An aquaintance told me they were selling for "about £60".

The above figures include Royal Mail SD.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
We're referring to the SK4 though Ron, not the SK3, which is about half the price of an SK4.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Wobbly Face (As Per Ed) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Hi Graham. I was lead to believe that the Sonik was £200, but on offer at half price. So should have been on a par with the other two. This actually makes the streamflex the cheapest. At £60 they are a bargain. </blockquote>
That's why I used RRP prices to make the comparison. You can't use street prices, especially game fair ones, as these will vary wildly and include one-off deals just to shift stock.

C

Cakey

I was looking at their carp rods on ebay 3 for the price of 2

very pretty looking

C

Cakey

just found the fly rods too .......half price ,nearly £100 and thats direct from Sonik

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By dint of low cunning and guile I acquired a Sonik 4 9' 6" #6/7 today and spent some time trying it out.

With a 6/7 Michael Evans Arrowhead line I was able to chuck with two false casts and with nothing untoward behind me. the whole of the Weight Forward line and another5 yards of backing. Not bad for an old fart with a dodgy arm and a dodgy leg!!!!

Seriously guys, these rods are a ploody bargain.

Chris Spreckley

Reaction score
Hi: Hope all you guys a right as on the strength of what you say I have just ordered a Sonik #6/7 at £75 (was £149.99) + £5 P&P for delivery tomorrow.

First trip will be to Lamaload Dam, Derbyshire (?) on Friday in a sweltering heat of 18-19˚C the weather people say.

Cheers, I'll let you know!
SV-Kristoria.