Re-Whipping (?) my rod..

the joker

Reaction score
Hi fishers.

May have posted in the wrong section but who know, I want to put some new eyes on my favorite rod, becuase the old ones had no inner ring which caused friction on the line making it curl and fall off the reel when casting, I've ordered the eyes and some whipping thread after reading about it on a website, it's something I'd like to have a go at myself.

Anyone ever done it? Any tips on getting the old eyes off?

Cheers!
Joker

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Joker,

A few questions.

Are the whippings finished with varnish or epoxy?

What colour is the thread?

Is it a varnished blank?

How 'handy' are you?

Stu

the joker

Reaction score
Joker,

A few questions.

Are the whippings finished with varnish or epoxy?

What colour is the thread?

Is it a varnished blank?

How 'handy' are you?

Stu
1) if you mean the ones on the current rod they look like they're varnished on..
2) the thread is white and there's also some navy blue.
3) I don't know what that is.
4) fairly handy, I'll try my hand at most things with most of the time successful results.

I may well take it to be done by a pro, but I like to learn how thing are done for future reference and to save myself some pennies :)

robtherake

Reaction score
Are you sure it's the rings that are causing the problem? Have the inner rings fallen out, or is the ring an unlined design?

If they're simply unlined, then you may have to look elsewhere for a solution. the problem you describe is often caused by loading the line wrongly.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
1) if you mean the ones on the current rod they look like they're varnished on..
2) the thread is white and there's also some navy blue.
3) I don't know what that is.
4) fairly handy, I'll try my hand at most things with most of the time successful results.

I may well take it to be done by a pro, but I like to learn how thing are done for future reference and to save myself some pennies
Ok, if it's white, it's probably varnished. (epoxy gives that semi rounded very smooth finish on most modern carbon rods).

You might as well have a go, if it goes wrong or not to your satisfaction, you can always get it redone.

Carefully cut the whipping with a very sharp knife or old fashioned razor blade. It's easier next to the ring leg. The whipping should then unwind fairly easily. Carefully remove the remaining varnish.

If it's an oldish rod, it will probably have a varnished blank, if so, you'll need to feather out the varnish against the old whipping, very fine wet and dry, go back to the next ring.

You'll need a colour fastener for any colour thread other than black, otherwise it will darken with the varnish. Dope or a modern equivilent, plenty of coats. You'll need to whip in the secondary colour with the primary. tape it back up the blank until you need it.

Use a brush to apply the varnish to the whippings, thin coats, spin the rod regularly until it goes off. On the blank, smooth out with your finger.

Best of luck.

Stu

Last edited:

the joker

Reaction score
It never came with inner rings, cheers for the advice, stu, ill give it a go when I get some free time, I'm connived i put the line on properly becuase my other reels with different rods work fine, which leads me to believe it's the eyes..

It sounds Farley straight forward to do.. Which usually means the total opposite!

Cheers,
Joker