Casting with Lefty Kreh

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

This is a book I must have.

Lefty is a master fly fisher and caster who's style of casting I have long admired. However he has often been criticised by the traditionalist casters who still teach the art with a rolled up copy of the Times under their arms and the instruction to keep your wrist stiff.

One particular South African casting luminary of my aquaintance once stated that Lefty's style of fly casting "wasn't casting at all."

Ploody Pratt he was!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ron, I have a Lefty Krey casting video of Uncle Daves, will ask him if you can have it

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Thank you very much Latrodectus.

I also think you can pick up videos of Lefty casting on Youtube.

He's well into his 80s now - marvellous for his age.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have had chance to read some of this book and make no mistake I believe it is essential for the keen fly fisher.

It's often been said that it's not possible to learn to cast from a book. To a certain extent this is true, however this book from Lefty Kreh is a little different from the rest, written as it is by arguably the greatest fly casting teacher of all time.

For myself, after over 40 years of fly fishing, 15 of them being a practical fly fishing instructor, I have had to modify my casting style somewhat, mainly to avoid injury. Many years ago as a typical "weekend warrior" I used to be able to chuck a fly line in excess of 40 yards. Until I started getting the odd little twinge in my shoulder and right elbow. I didn't recognise it at the time but I was getting tennis elbow and rotator cuff problems from a casting style that wasn't really suitable for a person in excess of 60 year of age.

I read a little more of Lefty Kreh's 5 principlesof casting and adapted many of them into my own casting style, the result being that the aches and pains virtually came to a stop and I was able to chuck 30 yards with a forward taper lineafter 2 false casts again.

This book: "Casting with Lefty Kreh" is the culmination of one man's lifetime of scientifically analysing the casting of the fly withthe singlehanded fly rod. The book takes you on a step by step analysis of all thedifferentcasting requirements necessaryto cover different angling conditions, from the avoidance of tailing loops to roll casting, from casting with and against the wind to the double haul and distance casting.

If you wish to be able to constantly cast 25 to 30 yards with the minimum of fuss and effort, this is the book for you.