hook for single grain of maize

nicky

Reaction score
Looking at the kamasan b110 as a possible maize hook, thinking maybe a size 10?

Anyone used these im buying them off ebay so cant look at them before purchasing

greenie62

Reaction score
These are excellent hooks for fly-tying buzzer patterns BUT they are Heavy wire and suitable for getting the fly through the surface film and down in the water - I wouldn't have thought them too suitable for fishing with sweetcorn. The B100 pattern is made from lighter wire and would be a better bet if you can get them!

nicky

Reaction score
yes but I'm not hair rigging sweetcorn but maize which is much heavier and I need a heavy gauge wire for landing carp

greenie62

Reaction score
Maddewch i mi - they both came out the same when I translated them into Welsh.
I think you've answered it yourself though.
Pob Hwyl a pysgota yn dda :thumbs:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
nicky.....humour me on this please!

Are you saying you are using maize (also known as sweetcorn to us fishermen!) direct from the 'pod' and prior to cooking on a hair rig??

...or are you knicking a single grain directly onto your hook?

Just interested, that's all...

greenie62....Are you sure you're safe in Wigan spouting all those Welsh words? I was up in the Standish area of the town some weeks ago visiting relatives and I have to say I didn't hear much Welsh sitting in a pub supping a pint of the local brew!!

I suppose you have to put up with that other form as Rugby (sometimes played in Wigan) as well eh??

greenie62

Reaction score
Are you sure you're safe in Wigan spouting all those Welsh words?

:DPlenty would say I'm not safe ANYWHERE!;)

Although I live in Wigan - I'm only there to stop them eating ALL the pies - it's a tough job but someones got to do it!

I'm an immigrant to the area being half-Welsh and half-Scouse - a chip on each shoulder - making me a perfectly-balanced personality!:rolleyes:

I was sent up here on Missionary work for the WRU - look at the effect it's had on the Wigan Warriors - back on top form again after a few lean years! Time left over for fishing again - hurrah!

All that's left to do now is stop the periodic pollution of the R.Douglas and get it back to its true form as the NW's premier game river and it'll be job done!;)

nicepix

Reaction score
Tee-Cee, I think that Nicki is talking about using maize as used in animal feeds not the Jolly Green Giant stuff. Maize even when boiled has an outer skin that could stop a bullet. I usually drill and hair-rig maize and if using just one grain tend to use the Korum Quick Stop hooks with pre-tied plastic stops on the hair in 10's or 12's.

nicky

Reaction score
As nicepix said I'm using maize as used for feeding pidgeons etc which is soaked then boiled and is still hard afterwards

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk