Slugs

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Another bait I was using a fair bit about 3 years back , caught some good fish but I've not used them for ages

Looks like slug and worm free bait session is long over due

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have had terrific results with slugs.

The only problem is that the best ones were the big black ones, and I haven't seen one for ages.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:D
I have had terrific results with slugs.

The only problem is that the best ones were the big black ones, and I haven't seen one for ages.

:):) try beer on your lawn or soak a few slices of bread in beer and put in your garden before going to bed in the morning you should find a large number of
very happy black slugs just waiting to-go fishing. :D.

chav professor

Reaction score
A top chub bait, rarely bettered.

Frequently bettered ;)

I can find Black slugs on damp evenings in the country side, but by rivers, I seem t find more brown ones.

Another fault with slugs is that dog dirt is possibly more effective than beer soaked bread as an attractor. I will pick the odd one for bait... but try and select the ones making their way there.... rather than feasting... or had their fill!

Mind you, I bet those slugs make a nice 'plop' sound when they hit the water:D

Just a question really, Slugs for bait..... Anyone fish them static? I just use them as a stalking bait - thats it... even caught the odd perch on them....

Now snails!...... Far superior

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) yes professor I do fish them static but by far my favourite method is free-lining the takes you get from chub are incredible.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I generally free line slugs Chav. I'm with you on snails, a terrific bait, although (as discussed in a thread some time ago) I prefer to leave the shell on as that's how the fish generally find them naturally. The small black snails in the silk weed are another favourite for roach - as is the weed of course..........

chav professor

Reaction score
:):) yes professor I do fish them static but by far my favourite method is free-lining the takes you get from chub are incredible.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

What about refusals.... I either get a terrific take... or scare the cr@p out of the fish..

I still use slugs, but snails are more consistent... However, having seen how chub seem to react to baits 'plopped' in... I have invested in some soft rubber 'creatures'.

Throw a small piece of mud or... anything... at a chub, the reaction is pretty consistent......

chav professor

Reaction score
So do you carry a pair of plyers with you to crack the shell or simply stand on them - of collect before fishign and break the shell at home

Just have them in a bait box..... lightly crush and hook into the 'foot' when you use them.

I liked the presentation as a bit of juice leaches out... Does it make any difference?

Snails are more subtle than a slug hitting the surface. Sometimes they inspect it, often just engulf it. My theory is.... You would miss the fish that inspect first.

michaels

Reaction score
What about refusals.... I either get a terrific take... or scare the cr@p out of the fish..

I still use slugs, but snails are more consistent... However, having seen how chub seem to react to baits 'plopped' in... I have invested in some soft rubber 'creatures'.

Throw a small piece of mud or... anything... at a chub, the reaction is pretty consistent......

I`ve found that if I use slugs/snails (partially crushed) in areas where chub would expect to find them, I have better results. So I usually try under bushes, trees, foliage, where it over hangs the bank. The plop can be interesting, whilst I have no specific proof, I think chub can differentiate the difference in sound/vibration of a stone compared to a slug falling in.

chav professor

Reaction score
Sound is quite crucial... it doesn't have to make much commotion on the surface.. Chub are pretty tuned in and notice even small items falling onto water.

They can be quite tolerant to sound and casting. I cast to a small group of chub over and over again, they would rush out each time to investigate. The bait was only taken when the fish judged it had landed in exactly the right spot!

Wouldn't have got away with that using Slugs... doubt even snails....

Got to love Chub:)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
As a thought - does any bait company make artifical slug (same way they make artifical sweet corn ect) then you could glug these in some flavouring - maybe evey bouyant one to pop up

michaels

Reaction score
Yes I agree, casting a large slug or snail out of the blue, probably would spook, but I`ve cast to the outer edge of the group and one usually nips out, so not to lose out. I`ve only really had good results when using them in conjunction with coverage, bushes etc, as they seem to appear naturally..
I don't see why one couldn't use artificial slug. We've all used artificials before, why not a slug, dipped in a preparatory juice or impregnated with a suitable substitute......

symonh2000

Reaction score
Another bait I have had good success with freelined is Blackberries.

Especially if you are fishing a swim with a blackberry bush overhanging the river.

Reaction score
I did an experiment in my back garden. My kids reckoned that snails moved faster if you take their shells off. So, we set up a little race track to test them. Then we took four snails and removed their shells and put one in each lane. Well, it turns out that taking their shells off does not make them go faster...in fact they were quite sluggish.

symonh2000

Reaction score
There was a knock at my front door once and the only thing that was there when I answered was a large snail.

I was a bit annoyed so I picked up the snail and threw it down the bottom of the garden.

Two weeks later I had a knock at the door again, and it was the snail. He said "What did you do that for?"