Hair rig tying

mujician

Reaction score
I'm trying to tie a hair rig, but the eye on the hook doesn't seem big enough to thread the line back through. Is there another way I can try this?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Use a bigger hook or lower diameter line..............for example Preston Reflow at .19mm (nearly 8lb) goes quite happily through a size 16 Kamasan B911X

mujician

Reaction score
I'll have a look for the snell knot thanks. For the time being, I've tied it like a spade end, using my hooktyer. I added a hair rig. Its the 1st hook I've tied.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
mujician...........Can you give a little more info like the hook size/line type you're using at the moment please??

Obviously you're tying a hair rig for a specific purpose and bait so this detail might help folk suggest alternatives. As Barbelboi says, the smaller the hook, the smaller the eye so the thinner the line needed BUT many ways to skin a cat, as they say!

I've never had the problem your finding but I do need a magnifying glass to see very small eyes these days and I always tie mine at home with a bright light anyway which also ensures the tying is perfect..

Come back.......................................

terry m

Reaction score
I am thinking that your problem is created by the hook size and/or line being out of balance. probably too heavy a line?

As another poster has said you should still be able to tie on and eyed hook using a spade end knot.

john step

Reaction score
Preston "rigger" hooks may be your answer. Made for hair rigging and strong in small sizes.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
John...Is this the Preston PR36 hook of which Drennan (Silverfish Hair Rigger) is a similar animal ??

You obviously favour the former in 'small' sizes?

slaphead

Reaction score
At my age and with my eyesight, I find that pre-tied is a better alternative. :eek:mg:

tincatim

Reaction score
One little tip to make it easier, use scissors to cut your line and try to cut it at an angle as opposed to straight down. It makes the piece that your trying to thread through a bit thinner and pointier. Certainly a lot easier than bitten line.