A day out with Mr Crabtree II

neil1970

Reaction score
Simon (FM's Peter Crabtree) kindly offered to take me out to 'Get a bend in your rod, and get some confidence in your light tackle'. (Knowing that that 'bend' rarely happens to me; due to a mixture of inexperience, solely targeting wild fish, and generally being a bit dumb)

It was my first time visiting a commercial, and I was looking forward to the day.

Simon picked me up at 9am and explained that we were going to fish for small carp on the pellet waggler.

He chose a peg with a warm westerly wind blowing in our faces.

He also lent me a seat box which made the whole experience much more comfortable, with everything to hand; and gave me some groundbait and pellets.

Soon the mission was complete - bend in rod, clutch going and the line singing happily. Also my first carp!

Obviously the same was happening for Simon.

I managed 20 fish,for about 35lbs: common and mirror carp and a couple of roach.
I think Simon had a couple more than me:)

Altogether a nice day, an interesting new experience for me and a
good laugh.

I do enjoy blanking on my wild fish hunt:eek:mg:, but would certainly enjoy another trip to a commercial in the future.

barbelboi

Reaction score
You lucky buffer Neil, in all the time I've known Simon he hasn't even lent me a caster.............;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A good day out indeed except for the wind. Not pellet waggler in the true sense but banded pellet on the deck with light wagglers and light lines.
I'm glad Neil now understands that his rod and line can take quite a caning and is capable of landing even bigger carps than yesterday's catches.

P.S. Sorry about the hi-jacking of your post Neil.
Oh the irony......