Help please

fishing_girl29

Reaction score
hi, my name is jo, i am recently new to catch and release fishing, as when i was younger i used to fish with my granddad and we used to keep what we caught.

anyway my boyfriend is an average angler but is used to using a pole we are both learning with a rod and real

anyway the main reason for this thread, is to find out exactly how long hemp seeds actually last for, as my boyfriend bought some yesterday but doesnt really know that much about using hemp seeds, so if we could get as much advice as possible then that would be a great help.

thank you:)

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) hello jo and welcome to fm, you did not say if your boyfriend had bought
pre-cooked hemp or raw if its pre-cooked then just freeze it till its needed and if its raw it will keep for months, best to keep it in air tight container and again freeze it when cooked a good idea jo is to cook a batch of hemp and when cold
put into freezer bags and freeze till needed.

tight lines
hm.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Jo and Welcome to FishingMagic.

As the chaps above have said, cooked hemp can be frozen and it will keep for ages.

Uncooked hemp stored where the mice can't get at it will last for months and months.

I find it best to cook it up in large batches and then bag in one litre bags and freeze, but then a bait fridge and freezer are a must have.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Jo. Follow the advice already given and you can't go far wrong. If you only want to prepare a small quantity of raw hemp, an alternative is to fill a flask, top up with boiling water, seal and leave overnight. If you want to use any flavours these can also be introduced at the same time.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Jo :)

I usually just stock up on tinned hemp (Dynamite Baits) and just use as and when, there is enough in one large tine for a session if used sparingly. it is cheaper to buy loose, just use the flask method as stated above :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Welcome to FM

some anglers have said that hemp left for a week or so after cooking attract fish better - if it's just hemp seed - put the seeds in water bring to the boil and simmer until the seeds split - white bits starts to show

You can add a littel salt to help attraction

flightliner

Reaction score
Easy to see when hemp is past its best, where fresh hemp splits and shows its white kernel after a short time boiling in a saucepan older stuff takes much longer, and, if its been stored too long its possible that a form of mite is presant and the kernal no longer exits.
If thats the case you can boil it forever and it still wont be any good.

fishing_girl29

Reaction score
he bought a bag of pre cooked hemp seeds, so whats best for storing them and how long will they last

:):) hello jo and welcome to fm, you did not say if your boyfriend had bought
pre-cooked hemp or raw if its pre-cooked then just freeze it till its needed and if its raw it will keep for months, best to keep it in air tight container and again freeze it when cooked a good idea jo is to cook a batch of hemp and when cold
put into freezer bags and freeze till needed.

tight lines
hm.