Youtube!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This may have been covered before but has anyone ever used Youtube as a learning tool?
I really enjoy a few hours on't net and I am allways looking for new fishing vids via YT especially the Carp fishing ones as I find it quite entertaining to see the new rigs etc that the carp boys use and have gleaned a few ideas from watching these Films not just for carp, but for Barbel and Tench!

Anyone else find YouTube usefull? :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah Ray,
There is certainly a lot of strange stuff on youtube, and not just fishing! :eek:mg:

Have you noticed the **** videos have the comments blocked so people can't leave their ''honest'' opinions? If they don't want folk to comment why post the stuff in the first place?

Self gratification I suppose! :eek:mg:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've used it for tips using Photo-shop, though you have to be a bit discerning, as you say there is a lot of dross out there.

The trouble is you get sucked in, when I went to the clip I posted I ended up looking at comedy clips by; Billy Connolly and Richard Pryor then onto boxing and watched Hagler v Hearns, then onto George Foreman v Ken Norton. You go on there for five minutes and then the bloody mornings gone.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I had a bash at this subject a while back but I agree lot of dross out there but some really good stuff too , especially for the basics like elasticating your pole etc.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting archive of and reference source to the past is YouTube, despite its one million and one ways to grow cannabis and selfie vids

Earlier I saw something about an old Sheffield Anglers' Club - Andrews of Arcadia Scrapbook: The Anglers' Social Club - and immediately found myself quietly mouthing the words (in a cod Northern accent, naturally) "The Committee..."

And there it was on YouTube - Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club GRANADA TV -1974 - YouTube

My Grandad on my Ma's side ran Anglers' evenings (complete with Billiard Room) at his pub in Burton upon Trent in the first third of the 20th Century. I know this because my Ma and her five or six sisters and a brother broke into their father's billiard and TACKLE room one afternoon and used the cues and his rods as spears and swords, wrecking many of them. On his return they were all duly thrashed. Wish I had met the man (he knew F.W.K. Wallis and other Trent greats), but he was gone before I was born. My Dad despaired of my early-onset fishing fanatacism; my Ma, supportive and knowing better, said to him "He got it from my father, A - thrown out of school for always going fishing, he was....".

The Committee....

Last edited:

danielecerullo

Reaction score
I find it useful for tips on tying knots. Also helpful hints such as using tinned tuna in your method mix and info/reviews on venues I'd like to fish. For sure some helpful bits on there but can be the case you have to sieve through the **** to find gold.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
There is some great stuff on there provided you can find it and I'm a big fan though it can get to you.

During last winters singularly rubbish zander campaign I found myself watching clips of carp runs just so I'd remember what a run looked & sounded like. This was after 6 blanks on the trot which was clearly starting to get to me.:eek:mg:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watch a lot of music and comedy on the tube when I want to find out if an album or DVD is worth buying, very usefull!

About the Rubbish, I watched a video on knife law which I found by accident and the guy who posted it was totally wrong in every aspect of UK Law, its wrong info like that, that could cause serious implications for someone!

The guy that posted it must have had many complaints because he too cleared and disabled the comments! :eek:

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) yes mark I have seen some of the angling films on youtube but I spend most of my time on that site looking up jazz musicians and jazz singers if you like jazz then listen to anita o'day singing at the Newport jazz festival in 1958
she will blow your socks off.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I think Youtube is a fantastic 'learning' site, there's very little on there that you can't find out, but, as Ray says earlier its addictive, and you pass from site to site from fishing to cardboard box manufacture, and 3 hours later you're thinking WHY :confused:

Time again for my all-time favourite clip, whenever i'm pizzled off this never fails.

Extended version of kung fu auditions - YouTube

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love the ones put up my the Americans about their ''bug out'' bags and what they take around with them as ''EDC'' it seems that 99.9% of yanks think there is going to be a Zombie Apocalypse!!! :eek:mg: :D :D

Reaction score
I think Youtube is a fantastic 'learning' site, there's very little on there that you can't find out, but, as Ray says earlier its addictive, and you pass from site to site from fishing to cardboard box manufacture, and 3 hours later you're thinking WHY :confused:

Time again for my all-time favourite clip, whenever i'm pizzled off this never fails.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLXx-0W8Q4

HAHAHAHAHA I forgot about that one. Thanks Merv.

lambert1

Reaction score
I too watch all sorts of things on Youtube, frequently in preference to the tv. From a fishing point of view, you can find stuff that is local to you (in my case anyway), which is really helpful and encouraging. On my last session before the close season, a guy stopped for a chat and was chuffed that I knew him from Youtube and had watched his videos. His are very good and well made with none of the annoying sound of the wind drowning out what he is saying, like some of those you see on Youtube. We had a good chat and he seemed a genuinely nice guy happy to share his knowledge and offer advice, which to a newbie like me was really helpful.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are hundreds of video clips on YT that dont seem to have a point at all, Like Fishing videos that just show a rod pointing out into the water and nothing else, no sound, no movement, nothing! Whats the point in that?

greenie62

Reaction score
Fishing videos that just show a rod pointing out into the water and nothing else, no sound, no movement, nothing! Whats the point in that?

:)Reminds you what some fishing days are like!!;)