Save our Crucians!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had a dozen from Old Bury Hill fishery on Wednesday. What a delight they are to catch. Most clubs seem to favour F1's and pasty sized carp over Crucians which to my mind is difficult to understand.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had a dozen from Old Bury Hill fishery on Wednesday. What a delight they are to catch. Most clubs seem to favour F1's and pasty sized carp over Crucians which to my mind is difficult to understand.

I'm guessing you were on Milton,Ray and I totally agree. Tremendous fun on light gear & such lovely looking fish.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Have to agree!
I had twenty today from a Farm Pond, mostly small but one did go around 1,5lbs which put a nice bend in the Ultralight c/w fine bottom....I thought it was bigger on hooking as they do tend to 'hold' bottom for a while before coming up.

A very pretty fish in the sunlight and I would've happily caught them all day!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm involved in this project, in particular in trying to create a list of waters that hold crucians in the UK. We have already identified many waters - into the hundreds already - and the next task is to verify those on the list. Many waters suffer the stocking of the diabolical F1 and what people are told are crucians but are all too often dumped brown goldfish. I've caught Milton crucians but that was in the 90s.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I'm guessing you were on Milton,Ray and I totally agree. Tremendous fun on light gear & such lovely looking fish.

Yes it was on Milton, nice fish too, all between 1.5lb and 2.5lb's plus a couple of nice Rudd and a bloody great Tench which killed the Crucian swim but at last knockings. I like to use a Drennan Floatmaster which is a very nice rod for the job.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) yes a lovely looking fish and great fun to-catch, why clubs seem to favour
the f1's over the crucian is beyond me.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

greenie62

Reaction score
trying to create a list of waters that hold crucians in the UK

Hi Mark,
How can anglers help in this - is there a central website/email for notifying of Crucian Waters?
Given that there seems to be some confusion over identification on occasions - are there any key indicators that you can give to avoid misreporting?
Best wishes!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
How can anglers help in this - is there a central website/email for notifying of Crucian Waters?
Given that there seems to be some confusion over identification on occasions - are there any key indicators that you can give to avoid misreporting?
Best wishes!

At the moment we are working within a closed Facebook group but once we've nailed the list down a bit more it will be available on The Crucian Carp Website

If you know of a water that you'd like to be included then PM me. We are going to a fair bit of trouble to try to sort out the ID.