Dealing with fish that bolt straight to snags?

the joker

Reaction score
Hello chaps and chapesses,

I fished a new fishery on Wednesday which had a reputation of holding some strong scrapping carp that many anglers lose when they go for the snags, I was fishing the far end of a rectangular pool, overhanging trees, reed beds, Lilly's, tree roots etc, with a waggler about 3 foot out, switched off for a split second, float went under, rod nearly went in and I booted a tin of corn over in the pandemonium, grabbed my rod and struck back, the fish then bolted for the snags and came off, I was holding the line and the rod which may have contributed to the loss of the fish, but the rig came back with everything attatched.

I have got better at playing fish, after fishing a river for barbel I learned not to rush things and adjust drag accordingly, but can anyone give me any more tips?

Cheers in advance,
The Joker

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You might be as well stepping up your tackle strength also.

:).

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I'd strongly reconsider fishing that particular swim on ethical grounds.

If the swim has that many snags then the probability of losing fish, and terminal tackle, has to be very high.

Far better to find a different swim where the percentages are more in favour of the angler?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I fish a water where the carp do the same thing and I had to learn by bad experiences before I realised where I was going wrong. In the end I had to buy another rod with enough beef ( and step up the other bits!) to do what Peter Crabtree says, which is to 'hit and hold'.
Carp love the snags anyway because it's safe and although I don't necessarily like using extra strong gear in some cases you just have to, or stop fishing the water. Having said that, I can, hand on heart, say that no fish I've landed has suffered from 'heavy tactics' as in visable injury.

You may feel differently about such fishing.............................

the joker

Reaction score
I enjoy fishing the harder pegs, it's the only way I'll get better, I like to work for my fish and if I get one then I can say I've done well and can be proud :)

I managed to catch a bream and a carp so it wasn't all bad ;)

The Joker

nicepix

Reaction score
What's the reel? Looks like a pin with a clutch......
Okuma Trent?

Yes, its an Okuma Trent. The drag is around the same stopping power as a Shimano Big Blue or Penn 760L and smoooooth as a baby's chin. The rod is an Ugly Stik Uptider that bends right down to the reel seat so between the two I can just hang onto the rod with both hands and let them cushion the blows :)

For carp I use another Trent and a through actioned Masterline JW Deadbait rod in 2.75lb test curve.

N.B. The latest model is called the Okuma Sheffield DRII

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Nice vid Clive, can't be a pin for hit and hold. I see dogs do like cats then..........;)

Thanks. :)

Roobs always kisses the fish. The only one that spooked her was a 3lb eel when she ran back to the tent and wouldn't come fishing again that evening.