Hair length

Mr Raffles

Reaction score
Hi.

Planning a night session on a pond. It has carp up to mid upper 20`s.

Problem is them roach & bream keep taking small baits.

I have some 22mm pellets & 20 mm biolies, never fished baits this size before.

Using just a simple hair rig with coming of back of korda wide gap b what length of hair would you recomend, or how far off the bottom of the hook should the top of bait be.

Cheers

Mike

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
When I`m making my hair rigs for single baits and doubles, the bait will always sit just off the gape of the hook about 5mm but this will be different for other anglers, as long as your catching, trial and error but keep it close. Plus I do mainly use 21mm halibets and 20mm boilies

Mr Raffles

Reaction score
do just let the hair stiaght off the eye or do you (as i normal do) put some tube along the back of hook holding hair against hook

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
The bonus with having the bait hared is your can set the hook as close as you want without the need to guess. when tying the knotless knot i alway go around the hook 10 or 12 times as you do this the hair will shorten slightly as it pins the mono or braid to the hook, I always prefer to use braid for my hair rigs.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Always go through the back of the hook to start and when finishing the knot return the way the way you came from through the eye too. The more times you you wrap the line around the hook then the longer the knot so this will pin the line closer to the gape"the U shape cuvreat the bottom of the hook