itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I really need a new reel but as a fan of Shimano reels, is this an option:

Team Daiwa TD-X Reels,
diawasports.co.uk

Everyone seems to be discounting by around 30% and there's no spare spool

B

binka

The TDX is a cracking reel Ian, I nearly fainted after paying that much out but I don't regret it for a minute when looking back at what it's done over the last couple of years.

Sublime drag that has not been out run yet and cranked through everything from stick float fishing and light waggler to my preferred barbel reel along with plenty of pike and zander... I've used it hundreds of times and it's as smooth and solid as the day I bought it.

A cracking compact reel.

I often keep a weather eye on Ebay and the second hand ones usually fetch diamonds at around £135 - £150 but there is a listing for a brand new one at £179.

Mine did come with a spare spool (Lanes of Coventry, £179) and I bought a third spool off Ebay for £22 instead of the rrp of £40.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not as wealthy as Binka mate so I have the TD-R Models, a few bob cheaper than the TD-X but still cracking reels, just ask Dave Harrell! :)

They bought a newer version out last year so you might get the older model a little cheaper, try Fosters of Birmingham! :)

B

binka

I am not as wealthy as Binka mate so I have the TD-R Models, a few bob cheaper than the TD-X but still cracking reels, just ask Dave Harrell! :)

They bought a newer version out last year so you might get the older model a little cheaper, try Fosters of Birmingham! :)

Lol... I wish I was wealthy mate, quitting the fags has paid for practically everything I've bought over the last year but I still darn my socks along with the monk like lifestyle I lead ;)

I didn't know they'd bought out a newer TDX, have you heard any feedback yet?

I think i'll be putting the braid spool on it and going out this afternoon for some light lure fishing, just trying to get motivated...

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I'm not that rich either and thus also have a pair of TDR's in the 3012 mold. They are superb reels - great for waggler fishing (lakes/river) or feeder fishing. I also use them when roving a river in deep winter after big chub with bread flake/cheese paste and a cage feeder.

B

binka

I'm not that rich either and thus also have a pair of TDR's

You've blown your cover Shaun... you have a PAIR?

Now that's just sheer extravagance :D :D :D

Mark... I've just twigged after looking on Ebay that it's the TDR that has a newer version not the TDX, just ignore me I need to go fishing :eek:mg:

Edited to add: Just a question... does the TDR have the same push button spool release that retains the drag setting in the spool itself instead of having to reset it every time you change spools and is this a fairly common feature nowadays in reels generally as I've not really looked at many others to notice?

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I didn't know they'd bought out a newer TDX, have you heard any feedback yet?

Sorry mate, should have stated that its A new version of the TD-R not the TD-X

The new TD-R is a cracker though ;)

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Edited to add: Just a question... does the TDR have the same push button spool release that retains the drag setting in the spool itself instead of having to reset it every time you change spools and is this a fairly common feature nowadays in reels generally as I've not really looked at many others to notice?

The TDR have the normal front drag spools Steve, you know the type poor folk buy! :D :D

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Do any of you chaps have any opinion on the Fox 5000 or 7000 ES reels?

They're reasonably priced and I recently bought a pair of 7000s to try them out. Anyone any experience of them?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Apologies guys but thanks for the info, having taken the time to check, the discounted reel I've seen is the TD-Match range, (the plus is that SWMBO is willing to buy me a TD-X for our Anniversary). Looks like a trip to Fosters to compare with the Rarenium and Twin power Shimanos.

Ian