Leaders

jake182

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the purpose of a leader? Why would I use one? Will it improve my catch? What are the pros and cons? Cause I have no idea, thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

greenie62

Reaction score
Leaders are normally used in Fly fishing or Sea fishing but for quite different end-reasons. They are seldom used in Coarse angling (other than in Carp fishing - see shock leaders below).
Fly-fishing: Used to transition from the end of the fly line (tip c. 1mm) to tippet / hooklength (c. 0.15) - typically using a tapered mono 3-4m long (e.g: 30lb - 6lb) this helps the presentation of the fly as well as the transmission of the cast throught the rod to the fly line and on to the fly. May be sinking or floating or 'neutral density'.
Sea fishing: 2 different kinds:
- Shock Leaders - to transition between mainline (15lb) and terminal tackle - usually about 10m long of 60lb mono - to absorb the stress of casting an 8oz weight 150m, or a Carping spod!:)
- Rubbing Leaders - to transition between mainline (say 40lb) and terminal tackle - usually about 5-10m - to withstand abrasion from rocks/wrecks.
Hope that helps.:thumbs:

jake182

Reaction score
That was spot on cheers

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk