Irish Man Takes Second in World Championship

Fergal Scully 3

Reaction score
Congrats to England on their team , individual gold and bronze medals.

However I noticed there was no mention of Irish Man Willie Wheelers silver medal at the recent world match fishing championships in the review of the competition.

Willie lives and fishes in Ireland where there not as much opportunity for sponsorship and high standard competition as in Britain. This makes his achievment a special one. He's the first Irish man on the podium for two decades. The last man was former world champion Bobby Smithers who unfortunatly died this year.

Well done Willie. Watch out team england he may win it one day!

The first Irishman on the podium for two decades

Willie Wheeler became the first Irishman to get on the podium since the late Bobby Smithers was crowned world champ back in the 70’s. Here’s how he did it...

“As soon as I knew I had the end peg I was happy because everyone knew there were a few fish there,” Willie explained. “There were a lot of very good anglers close by though but I still fancied it for a good score – maybe not a section win but something to give myself the chance of a medal.”

Fishing just as he did on day one when he took second in A section, Willie fished at 13m with double maggot over potted in stickymag and hemp, fishing rigs between 1g and 1.5g on a long line past the pole tip, loosefeeding hemp over the top to create a bit of noise as the feed hit the water. This had drawn fish into the peg during practice and obviously did the job today.

“It was steady from the start but the carrassio were quite small,” he said. “Thankfully they were there in numbers and I think I had around 18 fish in total for my 7-830 so they weighed pretty well! To get on the podium is fantastic and it’s just a shame that Bobby isn’t here to see it as he would have been beside himself – it’s been a strange World Champs without him.”