ace of spades

Big Mad G

Reaction score
Is there a spacific way to fish the Ace of Spades ???

Heard lots of different things, but i always thought inching it along just off the bottom of the loch was the way to fish this particular lure.

As it was an older angler who said the ace of spades was the only lure he used, and over the years had several bigfish and loads ofsuccess fishing it in this way.

I myself have used it and caught some fish but never an abundance of fish or a really big fish at that.

So if anyone can shed some light on this matter i'd be greatful /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifCheers

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The Ace of Spades is a typical black lure, designed by one of the Northampton Specimen Group in the 60s.Normally the best way of fishing these flies is with a constant steady retrieve with no jerks. I would fish it with a slow sinking shooting head line if fishing from the shore and maybe a fast sinker if fishing from a boat over deep water -with a roly poly retreive.

S

Shrek

You tuck the rod under your arm and use both hands, hand over hand, to retrieve the line, keeping the line moving steadily all the time.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Roly poly retrieve - also known as the Hanningfield strip and probably many other names as well.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It looks as ifyou are milking a cow. Match fly fishers go red in the face as they execute this retrieve.

The purists hate it, yet it catches lots of fish, especially stockies just after they have been released.

Smallish stock fish say between 12oz and 1lb are the delight of the competitive fly fisherman. They can be dragged in quickly and hoisted into the boat without the net. That reminds me of a comment by a very famous fly fisher who hooked into a magnificent 6 pounder which fought for over 15 minutes, as overwintered rainbows often do.

But he cursed the big fish because he hooked it amongst a shoal of stockies and reckoned he could have had 12lbs of those fish and won the match in the same time it took to land the biggy.

Such are the strange values of competitive fly fishers!

/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

C

Colin North, the one and only

I fished a trout fishing competition on lough Conn once and was drawn with a well known Irishman from Balinrobe. He only had one trout to my five in the boat, when he hooked a big fish, which turned out to be a grilse. I've never seen a Salmon played into a boat in under two minutes, nor have I ever heard a salmon called so many expletives.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And people say I'm wrong to pour scorn on competitive fly fishing!

NT

Reaction score
The Ace of spades is a great lure sadly out of vogue now as marabou lures such as cormorants, tadpoles,goldheads etc.. have taken over. I'd fish it slowly on the point of all lines.

Ron says 'Smallish stock fish say between 12oz and 1lb' - look at the averages for the likes of rutland and grafham, Ron. They are stocked at 2lb+ to avoid cormorants and that gill fluke.. Anglers decide wether to go for stockies or large grown on fish, a choice that may win or loose the competition. By the way didn't the very famous fly fisher get the biggest fish prize?
Sorry for highjacking the subject.

Comp fisher and proud!